Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I'm not an expert, but, those frogs look like hybrids to me. Maybe Azureus x Cobalt? If you are considering buying them, I would not unless someone more experienced here can vouch for their authenticity.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Agreed but wouldn't jump to conclusion so quick, ask the seller about them...what did they sell them as? Or selling them as? I do think they look like a cross though...azureus,oyapok?... or azureus an blue sip? Pics are not clear enough for me to determine sex but picture 3-8 frog thats not on the hut looks to be male...Can't really tell on the other one. Are the frogs crests really that white? Or is the the flash causing that? Some of the pictures don't look like the crest is bright white...so they may just be azureus, or blue sip

Julio, don't true sips have a yellow crest though?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I got them from a local fish store. The owner is a very experienced(25 years)(trust him enough to not sell me something bad) and now breeds darts as a recreation. He has adults for sale, and they have a yellow, creamy crest along the snout, so I was leaning towards a true sip. These are about 7 1/2 months, so we can truly see once they age more.

I will be sure to ask him tho.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
True Sips are pretty rare for tincs in the hobby, how much did u get these guys for if u dont mind me asking. You may have gotten away with a steal here

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The owner is a very experienced(25 years)(trust him enough to not sell me something bad) and now breeds darts as a recreation.
Anyone with that much experience should have told you what morph they are. Something tells me he is less experienced with darts than you may think.

Reactions: boabab95 and Tony

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Agreed I would remotely consider that they would be True Sips. they are almost non existent in the hobby. Not something that would be for sale to the public. They arent even typically offered on public forums.

To be honest I couldnt even make out the pictures well enough.
They kinda looked identical to Azureus just looked like the flash made the crest look kinda whitish yellow
Todd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I got them $75 each and told me his was taking a loss. I am a frequent customer there and a potential part time employee. He has told me stories of when histrionicus were common and selling frogs help pay himself threw collage. I will stop by the the store Tuesday and get a morph confirmation from him and see if I can't get a breeding pair going, as I am pretty confident they are both males. I will also upload some better pictures.

Thank you for so much input, I will find out Tuesday. That would be quite awarding if they are true sips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
His frogs are usually not for sale and more of a display feature for other customers. I became interested and set up a terrarium, flies, and read alot of information. He was searching threw some of his suppliers for some lecus as they were my first choice, after 5 weeks I became inpatient and asked if we would be willing to sell some of his tincs. He said why not, I threw him $75 each and accepted.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I will stop by the the store Tuesday and get a morph confirmation from him and see if I can't get a breeding pair going, as I am pretty confident they are both males.

If you don't know what they are 100% [or they are hybrids]...

DO NOT BREED THEM!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
New Photos are up and on the same link I posted. We will just have to see tomorrow. I know it sounds like he may have "played me," but out of my 10 years of going there. I have never received anything bad from him, he is honest and he would have no reason to lie to me, about them being True Sip. My mistake on not asking what morph they were.(I can also ensure everyone that he is very experienced.

I won't breed anything till I know what they are. Everyone has my word.

They are also very healthy, bold, and active frogs. Good eaters.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts