Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm gearing up to start work on a enclosure for a pair of tincs (either suriname colbolts or yellowbacks), and i wasn't able to come up with any information regarding enclosure size. at my disposal i have either a 20L or a 30 gallon (standard), and i was wondering if one would be better than the other for any reason.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
If you applied the "5 gallon rule" then we are talking about a ten gallon tank as opposed to a 30....

It depends on what you prefer to use. With the larger dart frog species, I prefer to use the 20Ls but I don't think it matters to this type of frog.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ed said:
With the larger dart frog species, I prefer to use the 20Ls
is there a reason i should use the 20L over the 30? would the 30 be perhaps too large? is it overkill for a pair or would they utilize all of the space a 30 has to offer?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Go with a 20 high. I have both, and when you add a false bottom, it will remove a lot of height. Tincs do enjoy climbing, and often they will climb up a log and try to jump through the lights, so make sure it's high enough.

Those "5 gallon rules" only apply to density. You can squeeze about 30 or so people in a college classroom, but it'd be pretty cramped if a single student was crammed into a room just to accompany the desk.

Personally I wouldn't keep more than a pair of tincs in a 20 gallon, in either style. Tincs poop an awful lot, the bigger the better so you don't have to change/ stir the soil much.

Oh yeah... 20 highs look nicer as you can really have a nice background to hang bromeliads. You don't get enough height in a 20 long.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I prefer the 20 l as I can use standard flourescent lights (one warm and one cool) and get good plant growth in the tank.

For most of the 1990s I kept tincts in groups of 4-5 in 20 longs with 4-5 deposition sites and bred them for years without any problems. I also used this setup on azurues, auratus and E. tricolor with no problems.

Ed

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You could always opt for the 29gl. Same as the 20l just 6" higher.

Luke

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i already own the 20L and the 30g. that's why i was opting for one of those two. also, i'm not interested in having more than a pair. maybe another day in another enclosure, but as for now, 2 is just right, so no worries there. i'm leaning towards the 30 gallon, after the mention of what a false bottom will do to their head room.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts