Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.1 trio of Surinam Cobalts just laid their first eggs! How do I tell if they are fertile (other than waiting for them to develope)? Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Leave then in there for a bit, if you see the male wetting the eggs, that is a good indication that they are fertile. But most of the time is is wait and see.
Ed

·
Registered
97 Posts
congrats on your first clutch!

You can tell if they are fertile by using a dissecting scope or good hand lense to look for divisions. This however can be difficult unless you have looked at a fair number of eggs and really know what you are looking for. You should set up your eggs for incubation (after you are sure the male has had enough time to fertilize them) and wait. Don't be discouraged by a little color change in the eggs initially. Don't through out the eggs until they have lost shape and have become pretty gross. In these initial stages you don't want to through out good eggs thinking they are bad. With time you will recognize bad ones easily. I am pretty sure that when I first started I threw out some good clutches. Don't make that mistake.

Also, as you probably know from reading the forum eggs laid by young, inexperienced pairs are often bad for several clutches. You may even want to consider leaving them with the male for a week or so at first. It will save you some time and effort and (pure speculation here) help his learning curve.

Hope this helps

Aneides

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yea, let us know how it goes. I'd be interested in knowing if any of them dissapear. I have 2.1 azureus in one of my vivs. The last clutch they layed looked like it was fertile, but I suspect that one of the males ate the eggs. They dissapeared one or two at a time untill they were gone a few days later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts