Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a Cobalt pair form nabors about a month ago and recently (2 weeks ago) put them in there viv from quarantine. The othe day I noticed that the largE and fat female was stroking the males back even tho no calling has been seen. The male however seems to want nothing to do with her and moves away. She follows him all day stroking him non stop. Is this normal? Is there anything I can due to sway the male to breed. Humidity is high and food is plenty full with multiple egg laying sights under coco huts

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Chris,

It's likely that you didn't see the male calling, as the pairs can start courting very early in the morning. Generally, the female strokes the male's back and he leads her all over the terrarium until he finds the perfect spot to lay eggs. I do have some big female Powderblues that wrestle the males mercilessly, but that is rare in my experience.

It may take them courting several times before they feel comfortable enough to breed. Just make sure they have a nice coco-hut in a quiet area and a nice, clean petri dish (or margarine lid or such) to lay the eggs. If not, they'll lay on the foliage or also in the leaf litter (which makes collecting the eggs a nightmare!)

Good luck with them. They are great frogs! Richard.

Reactions: Chris155hp

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Your frogs are showing perfect signs off breeding. The males will hop around the tank doing their thing, while the female will follow him around stroking his back. He might even be calling, their calls are very faint. Even if he wasn't at the time, that's ok. I'm sure you will find some eggs very soon ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thing is the male will climb up on the glass as to get away from her since she can't climb the glass. I guess all I can do is wait but it's frustrating lol

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Maybe he's a frog who thinks he's a prince - too good for her. :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does temp affect breeding?

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
My house temps in the Winter are 70 during the day and 68 at night, during which many of my frogs stop breeding. When the minimum temp is around 70-72 and the daytime temp is 74-76, they start breeding again like crazy.

Richard.

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do the females become sluggish when they get pregnant?
females darts dont get pregnant. Females do however gain size when they are full of eggs

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Do the females become sluggish when they get pregnant?
Lol sorry couldn't help to chuckle ;). Like chris said they will gain quite a bit of weight and get nice and fat when they are about to lay eggs, but IMO they don't really get sluggish or anything, still quite active and everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts