Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Misting

I have to manual mist for now. For others that manual mist how many times per a day and at what times per a day do you mist. I guess it would be the same for auto misters too. I keep my frogs in a standard ten gallon tanks. With 2 inches of hydro-ton and 3 inches of dirt and coco fiber. no drain, but use an aquarium lift tube for ventalation.
Thank you,
TQ

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
I hand mist and feed late afternoon. I used to do it in the morning, but the lights coming on that early on the weekends got old fast.

trimtrig said:
Misting

I have to manual mist for now. For others that manual mist how many times per a day and at what times per a day do you mist. I guess it would be the same for auto misters too. I keep my frogs in a standard ten gallon tanks. With 2 inches of hydro-ton and 3 inches of dirt and coco fiber. no drain, but use an aquarium lift tube for ventalation.
Thank you,
TQ

G

·
0 Posts
I had mist my tanks when needed I have humidity dials. I'd say once every 2 days to as much as twice a day. I'm not sure a scheduled mist cycle is important as it rains randomly in the rainforests. I also feed randomly usually once a day more sometimes to induce breeding.

Darryl

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
misting and feeding

I mist around 10 in the morning, then I feed about a half hour later. I dont mist till the next day- the humidity stays pretty high.
That brings up a good question tho-
Misting and feeding.
Have keepers noticed that frogs feed better after a misting, before a misting, or after the cages have been misted several times than a good feeding, moring feeding vrs evening feeding? Or it just does not matter to the frogs, they just want to eat when ever?
TQ

G

·
0 Posts
My frogs get hand misted then fed. I think they figure out that when it rains food isn't far behind so they get more active.So I think they can learn simple things pretty easy.
I saw a show awhile back where they used whistles to call to their frogs at this zoo. Thye had them trained to come out and then they had this thing setup so the frogs would enter it and they could weigh them.Man, I can't remember the name of the show but it was on the National Geographic channel.It was awesome!!!
Mark Wilson

G

·
0 Posts
I mist then feed too. So everytime i mist all the frogs come jumping out. Two of them even try to jump on my hand any chance they get to get to the food faster. I think i will try that whistling thing. Be a fun trick to show people:)

G

·
0 Posts
:) I think misting in the mornings is good, it's kind of funny but my frogs will come out of their hiding places and plaster themselves against the glass until I feed them,if they see movement they get very excited, as I feed one enclosure the other frogs will frantically climb up the sides and remain there until I drop food inthere then they dive to get to it. I dont know exactly why this is happening but I think having a regular schedule with captives helps to get them accustomed to captivity.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
I have 2 shoplights, and 3 more tanks. So in all about 5-6 lights, with another shoplight in the works.

As for feeding only my pumilio, leucs, azureus, and terribilis come out after misting, my other thumbs don't seeem to care. The ones that do come out sit and wait in the spots where I feed them.

mouse said:
but the lights coming on that early on the weekends got old fast.
he he he he, you should try a 500W freshwater tank.

MOOOOORNING!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
I got a digi timer on my misting unit so it mist on time every day at 9:45am for 3 mins then at 6:45 for 2 mins. I then come in around 1pm and hand mist check all the frogs then start throwing the flies in. My timer broke after a bad storm and nocticed one thing was that my azureus stoped breeding. I'm not sure why they stoped, but now i got a new timer if they start up it might be to the misting times. Also one thing to note that i didn't see any one say is young darts need allot more water aka mist then adult darts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts