Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a timer to run a misting system. I have found a couple of cycle timers for around $100 to $500. :cry: Is this all?

I am looking to have it mist my vivs for 15 sec. to 30 sec. or so 3 or 4 times a day (this will probably change through trial and error :lol: ) Most of the cheaper timers I have found have minimum of 1 minute, which will not work.

Any sugestions? What do you use?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Most of here use the $25 digital timers that stay on for a minimum of 1 minute at a time with no problems. What type of misting heads? Cheaper heads will not produce as fine a mist and will release too much water.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
1 minute is about the best you can do for not a lot of money. I did see someone post a 30second one not too long ago, but can not seem to find it. I plan to use a timex digital timer that will do 1minute a couple times a day. Just waiting to get my glass for the lids.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a Rainmaker Jr. and have my timer set for a total of 5 minutes per day.2 minutes at 9:30 am, 1 minute at 11 am and 2 minutes at 4 pm.
I go through about 5 gallons of water a week.I water my orchids and carnivorous plants with the collected water after it drains into my buckets.
Mark W.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I have an ecologic technologies mist system (with the small, high pressure "quiet" (yeah, right) :roll: pump) , IMO, 1 minute a day is too much at once. I currently have four nozzles hooked up, and I go through a gallon of water about every five days.
I'd like to know where they come up with those oz per minute ratings...at the rated 1/2 oz per minute, per nozzle, I should take 64 cycles to go through a gallon...not even close! Do I need to add more tanks to the system?
I have to siphon out water from the drainage layer about every four days.
I haven't seen a decent priced seconds timer. I assume you've seen the green air model >$100...
I thought I seen somewhere a piggyback style timer, that when it senses power, it times out in seconds...but cant remember where.
This unit I dream about...
http://www.vivaria.nl/vivaria/?get=info ... ontrol.xsl
Happy hunting!

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
...I thought that's where I seen it...I was looking on Vivaria last night and for some reason couldn't find it (too tired? :roll: )

·
Registered
785 Posts
I took the intermatic timer, took it apart and soldered a cable to the leads where the big manual ON/OFF override is. This way, I have my timer buried in a pile of cables and can still easily turn it on whenever I want. It works very well. No more getting on all fours everytime I want to hit the tanks with exta mist.

I did order the greedair cyclestat from ebay for $60 though. Ever since I changed my misting times my azureus stopped breeding :cry: argh!!!

kyle1745 said:
I had another idea I forgot to post. Why not just use a switch? Flip it on while you get flies ready and turn it off whenever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts