Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the beginning of the year I thought I'd try a tiled waterfall in a 15 gallon vertical tank. I used 2 Wall Accent Trim Tiles and Waterfall Foam Sealant from home depot for the background. It didn't work as well as I hoped, but I thought I'd show it to those interested in having a waterfall in a tank like this.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Why didnt it work as well as you had hoped, were there problems with it or it did not look the way you had hoped?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Looks good. Modern ruins feel to it. I also want to know how you made the waterfall. Do tell lol
Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First I used silicone to attach a 1/2" PVC pipe to the back of the tank. I thread my plug to the waterfall through it. Then I cut a groove in a large piece of styrofoam so it would lay on top of the PVC pipe on the back of the tank. I used one 4"x12" Wall Accent Trim Tiles from Home Depot and glued it on the styrofoam background. Once it dried I surrounded it with waterfall foam sealant (I placed the hose for the waterfall somewhere in between all that).

I used waterfall foam sealant rather than Good Stuff because I knew I wouldn't be able to cut the foam close to the waterfall and wanted it to have a rock look. I also made spaces on each side of the tiling for planting. After a couple days I cut the foam, added silicone, and then coco fiber.

What failed was:

1. I had this crazy idea to build two bridges in front of the waterfall for the frogs to use to get around. The problem was you can't see the waterfall, and the frogs never used them. So it made the tiles pointless. I ended up cutting out the bridges later.

2. The tiles are heavy! So are the river rocks. They add more weight than I really wanted to the tank. I like to keep my tanks light.

3. The waterfall works well to keep the background wet as the coco fiber absorbs the water and the rest drains though the river rocks at the bottom. Too well. Drenching the broms was killing them. So the waterfall needs to be on a timer so it's not running 100% of the time.

4. Corner waterfalls are great. but a waterfall in the middle of a 15 gallon vertical takes up a huge amount of space I could use for planting. These arboreal frogs climb on the foliage. I'd rather have more foliage.

5. Not sure how, but the spray from the waterfall hitting the river rocks still manages to his the front of the tank. I've got a euro vent, so the spay eventually drips out of the euro vent. I have placed sponges under the eurovent to soak up the drip. But it's annoying.

I guess my issue is really with having a waterfall. Less with the tiles. I like the tiles. And I'm still trying to get my java moss to grow over them.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top