Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what you guys think the best beginner species of thumbnail to start of with would be because the next viv I make will be vertical for thumbnails and I was just wondering which species is best to start with? :confused:

·
Registered
894 Posts
I was just wondering what you guys think the best beginner species of thumbnail to start of with would be because the next viv I make will be vertical for thumbnails and I was just wondering which species is best to start with? :confused:

Which ever one you like the most! But most recommend imitators and vents. I would stay away from fantastica, benedicta and reticulata.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright yeah I was looking at some imitators :) well with your experience are they hard to take care of?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright thanks :) I love that type as your avatar ive been looking into them is he/she yours?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Imitators are perfect choice! I love the varaderos. That are so easy to care for and so bold.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Not particularly difficult, care-wise they are pretty similar to tincs/leucs/auratus... be sure to frog-proof your tank, thumbnails can get through reaaally small cracks/holes etc.

Most recommend keeping imi's in pairs as there can be some aggression in groups (I've witness this first hand and probably would have lost the third frog if I hadn't removed it)... if you want a bigger group, Variabilis would be a good choice (they also look almost identical to nominal imitators)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
In my experience they are not hard...depending on what one considered hard. I started with Imitators, Varadero and C. Valley. I now also have R. Uakarii, Reticulata, benedicta, Vanzolinii and trying to get some Standard Lamasi going.

I have yet to deal with anything that I would consider difficult but that's just my experience. I guess that depends on ones perspective though.

After breeding marine ornamental fish (synchiropus splendidus, ocellatus) everything about this hobby is pure zen.

·
Registered
72 Posts
various imitators are a safe choice as first thumbnails. you can usually find them from reputable breeders and also as pairs. they are very hardy and a great choice of thumbnail to start with. some really nice morphs are available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts