Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received 3 thumbnails from dclarke2.

They are really neat.

I am kind of wondering if what I am seeing in my substrate and in my springtail cultures are springtail larvae???

They are tiny round invert that moves along the surface.

Will attempt to post pictures.

Does anyone have any idea???

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Sounds like mites. Generally harmless to your frogs, just another food. Not good in your cultures though, as they can out-compete your springtails.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What I am seeing kind of pops. I have seen the tiny tiny elongated baby spring tails. I hate to be graphic but it looks like the small circular moist secretions seen in the inner aspect of the eye. This object glides across the substrate.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You mean larvae or white bugs? I have both in my viv now. I think they are mites, mites almost like like tiny spiders. I think the larvae is gnat larvae.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
How long has this system(Viv) been functioning? Where did you obtain the substrate? Did you add anything from outside into the viv that could have introduced something? I have never seen a mite's legs when looking with the naked eye, are you sure they are not the small rounded mites that infest FF cultutres? If this viv was set up for a bit before having occupants, the microfauna just booms without predatory deterants. All the best to you, and good luck!

JBear

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The enclosure has been set up since July 4, 2011. The larvae??? have been in my springtail for some time. I first noticed this larvae when I purchased leaf litter from Josh's Frog. When I called and asked Josh if he could identify this critter he said it was a beneficial critter that will assist in decompostion. These were not his exact words so I am paraphrasing his response. My springtails are no where near my fruitfly cultures. The two are on different levels in my home. I added the springtails to the enclosure 2 days ago.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Did you ever say what kind of frogs they were? What were the symptoms of any potential problem with the frogs? I don't recall seeing it mentioned, just asking about the mystery critters.Any pics of the frogs, from when you received them until the end?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you ever say what kind of frogs they were?

My goodness....I was so excited I did not mention I had standard vents

What were the symptoms of any potential problem with the frogs?

There were not any adverse symptoms.

Any pics of the frogs, from when you received them until the end?

no pics....just got them yesterday.....this was very unexpected
Other than the mystery critters......I am cluesless

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
what were the parameters of the viv? temps in particular.

and just how may of the unidentified creatures were there? its possible that the frogs were literally stressed to death by the other animals, if the entire viv was loaded with them the way the pictures were.

james

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
does it normally happen this fast???
improper temps can kill in minutes.

stress can kill VERY quickly if severe enough.

there are many things that we just dont know here. a necropsy might help but if it were a pathogen i wouldnt expect that sort of quick die off.

james

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what were the parameters of the viv? temps in particular.
temps were right at 74-76 degrees farenheit humidity was 90%. current temp has same parameters.

and just how may of the unidentified creatures were there?
I do not have a number count but there were quite a few

its possible that the frogs were literally stressed to death by the other animals, if the entire viv was loaded with them the way the pictures were.

:'( that may have been the case.....I am not going to let this deter me. I plan on continuing on my journey. I have 3 other vivs that are set up and ready to go. I think I might try my hand at another set in a different tank.

I have the following gallon sizes: 2.5, 5 (both horizontal) and a 10 gallon veritcal tank

Which do you think I should use temporarily until I get my 20 gallon stripped and reset??

I am waiting on Josh to respond regarding the beneficial bug that was present on the leaf litter when purchased earlier this year.
james

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
improper temps can kill in minutes.

stress can kill VERY quickly if severe enough.

there are many things that we just dont know here. a necropsy might help but if it were a pathogen i wouldnt expect that sort of quick die off.

james

I am distraught. Do you know of a pathologist that can perform a necropsy??

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I have the following gallon sizes: 2.5, 5 (both horizontal) and a 10 gallon veritcal tank

Which do you think I should use temporarily until I get my 20 gallon stripped and reset??
the 2.5 and 5 are pretty useless for dart frogs.

i dont know what the bugs you have pics of are (the photos are pretty blurry) but my guess would be stress. ive personally witnessed frogs die from the stress of too many feeder insects, so the type of bug doesnt matter.

if you have other tanks set up what would make you feel confident this wont happen again? i mean dont let this turn you off of darts, but take it as a lesson and learn from it, dont just haphazardly jump in and get more frogs.

as i said before a necropsy could rule out pathogens, but for the cost involved (and because it unlikley to reveal an issue which would have killed all 3 so quickly) i'd just set up a new tank, and ensure you dont have the same problems (like the bugs, which i'm personally leaning towards as a cause)

btw, my guess at stress from the insects, is just that. A GUESS, im in no way qualified to make a real assessment of what caused your issues.

james

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is very sad to hear when I shipped the (Standard Vents) they were very much alive and at a healthy weight. They arrived alive. The only thing I can think of is too much stress in a short period of time from the larvae and possibly shipping.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts