Dendroboard banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Mantella baroni, Dendrobates auratus, Afrixalus dorsalis, Theloderma corticale
190 Posts
I've kept auratus for a few years together with a lot of Nepenthes. Absolutely no problems for the frogs (they slept regularly in the pitchers) but I started running into issues with the plants (because of vitamin powder residue and pests which I couldn't treat) so I had to separate them. But as nearly all Nepenthes turn into massive climbing of scrambling vines, the tank was a temporary setup anyway. All frogs that slept in the pitchers are still alive and doing well today. A healthy frog should not have any issues getting in and out of one and their skin is more than capable of handling the fluids in pitchers.

Heliamphora need tons of light to grow well, much more than is given in an average viv. They also despise high temperatures and need a drop in temperatures at night to continue thriving in the long term. But they could work well if those conditions can be met, which is certainly doable by placing them relatively close underneath the lights and using LEDs. I think I came across a paper that mentioned that Heliamphora sometimes occur together with a Ranitomeya species, and some of the carnivorous bromeliads Brocchinia and Catopsis also occured together with Ranitomeya. With reproduction happening inside the bromeliads despite being carnivorous. I suppose the tadpoles helped with digesting the insects for the plants :p

I only ever put a Drosera madagascariensis with Mantella baroni as they occur together in the wild, but the sundew did not appreciate being trampled now and again. Most Drosera are sensitive to droplets and fertilizer/vitamin powder residues so they won't do well in most vivs.

Carnivorous plants that I consider safe and (semi)practical for tanks with frogs are terrestrial and epiphytic Utricularia, Genlisea, some species of Pinguicula, Brocchinia and Catopsis bromeliads (again, loads of light) and Heliamphora.

Reactions: Ookami

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've kept auratus for a few years together with a lot of Nepenthes. Absolutely no problems for the frogs (they slept regularly in the pitchers) but I started running into issues with the plants (because of vitamin powder residue and pests which I couldn't treat) so I had to separate them. But as nearly all Nepenthes turn into massive climbing of scrambling vines, the tank was a temporary setup anyway. All frogs that slept in the pitchers are still alive and doing well today. A healthy frog should not have any issues getting in and out of one and their skin is more than capable of handling the fluids in pitchers.

Heliamphora need tons of light to grow well, much more than is given in an average viv. They also despise high temperatures and need a drop in temperatures at night to continue thriving in the long term. But they could work well if those conditions can be met, which is certainly doable by placing them relatively close underneath the lights and using LEDs. I think I came across a paper that mentioned that Heliamphora sometimes occur together with a Ranitomeya species, and some of the carnivorous bromeliads Brocchinia and Catopsis also occured together with Ranitomeya. With reproduction happening inside the bromeliads despite being carnivorous. I suppose the tadpoles helped with digesting the insects for the plants :p

I only ever put a Drosera madagascariensis with Mantella baroni as they occur together in the wild, but the sundew did not appreciate being trampled now and again. Most Drosera are sensitive to droplets and fertilizer/vitamin powder residues so they won't do well in most vivs.

Carnivorous plants that I consider safe and (semi)practical for tanks with frogs are terrestrial and epiphytic Utricularia, Genlisea, some species of Pinguicula, Brocchinia and Catopsis bromeliads (again, loads of light) and Heliamphora.
Thank you, this is great information.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts