Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to compare sizes of the different Ranitomeya species, but having not seen all of them I only am able to go off of what I have heard, which is limited to a few species. For example, I have heard that Benedicta and vanzolini are larger species, and having seen Reticulata recently I know that they are extremely small. How large on average is what I'm after, or maybe just a full comparison of sizes of species that are kept. Say, the size of a vent compared to an imi, or certain locale of imi for that matter. Anyone? Or is that confusing? :confused:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think I understand... my lamasi are about 1/2 an inch (adult female)...
My variablis are a little smaller.. not much. Thats the only thumbs I got and sorry not much info. :-(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no problem, that was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
I have Orange lamasi and have kept two morphs of imitator (standard and varadero). The imitators are much larger than than the lamasi. I'd say close to 2x as large.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I'm pretty sure that both fantastica and highland lamasi are quite large. Standard imitators are fairly big, maybe pumilio size ( I know that's arbitrary, but I mean average pumilio). Vents and variabilis are just a little smaller and dainty. And yes the retics I've seen are even smaller.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Largest= copper head fants and benedicta

Smallest= reticulata

Imitators are large but not as big as the fants and bene's. Lamasi, vents and variabilis are on the small side but not as small as the retics.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I saw a female green Lamasi at frog day that was very large. Largest thumb I have ever seen. ? I have never seen another one before, so I don't know if that is usual or not? It was a very beautiful frog.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah I love my lamasi.. she is probably twice the size of my variablis but my variablis are only about 4-5 months old.

Not to get off track on frog sizes LOL. I just love my thumbs. My favorite frogs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the great comparisons! So, for Lamasi the standard are the largest? Are standard Lamasi the same as orange Lamasi, or are there many different varieties? Thanks everyone!:D

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
There are quite a few morphs of lamasi. There's the orange, which I believe is an old line imported before site data. There are also green, various panguana, and standard morphs. The standards are quite hard to find, but from what I've read, they're bigger and bolder. They come from higher altitudes than the other morphs and are sometimes referred to as highland lamasi.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
abdita: 16- 18 mm
altobueyensis: 15.5- 17mm
amazonica: 16- 19mm
benedicta: maximum 20.2 mm
biolat: 15- 17 mm
bombetes: 16-20mm
claudiae: 13- 16 mm
cyanovittata: 15-18 mm
daleswansoni: 18.5 to 19.7 mm
defleri: 15- 18 mm
dorisswansonae: 17.54-19.43 mm
duellmani: 15- 18 mm
fantastica: 16- 20 mm
flavovittata: DD
fulgurita: 13.5 to 20 mm
imitator: 17- 22 mm
lamasi: 17-22 mm
minuta: 12 to 15.5 mm
opisthomelas: 15- 20 mm
reticulata: 13- 16 mm
rubrocephala: DD
sirensis: 16.8 mm
sp. "Supatá": 20 mm
summersi: DD
tolimense: 17- 19 mm
uakarii: 18- 20 mm
viridis: 14- 15.2 mm
virolinensis: 15-19mm
vanzolinii: DD (?)
variabilis: 17-19 mm
yavaricola: < 18 mm

it took me about 30 minutes to get the data together, and im missing a few (Data Deficient) but its a pretty complete list. of course it doesnt recognize populations, just species as a whole.

james

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks a ton James. I started to do that yesterday and soon realized it was going to be more trouble than I had anticipated. :confused:

Props to you, fine sir!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Nice list James.

Flavovittata fall into roughly the same size range as Imitators, but just a bit shorter.

I'd say around 17-20mm.

My adult female is around 19mm snout to vent with the male being a tad shorter.

Any Vanzos I have seen have been monsters on the thumbnail scale easily sitting towards the higher end of the Imitator size range.

Cheers for putting this together mate.

Richie

·
Registered
974 Posts
Those are monster flavs Richie. My imitators are distinctly bigger than all of my flavs.
Hey John.

Funnily enough I always thought my Imitators were alot bigger than my Flavovittata too, and regarded my Flavs as a fairly small.

Coinsadently when I saw this thread my Female Flavovittata was on the front glass begging to be measured, and 19mm is what I got.

Shes a fairly big 2 yearold girl with the Male being distinctly smaller.

Heres a photo of the lady in question at around 8months of age when I first got her, a friend of mine wanted some size comparison shots so he could understand just how small they were.

She has obviously gotten substantially bigger since this photo and ALOT fuller.

Cheers,

Richie

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Interesting stuff Richie. Just a point on that photo. She is 14 mm snout to vent in that photo. Are you sure she has grown another 5 mm since then? Just wondering where your measuring from/to.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Interesting stuff Richie. Just a point on that photo. She is 14 mm snout to vent in that photo. Are you sure she has grown another 5 mm since then? Just wondering where your measuring from/to.
i was going to say the same.

the measurements are SVL (snout to vent length)
so, from the tip of its nose to its vent (the opening for reproductive organs located at the end of its body) it does not include the legs at all.

james

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hey Fellas...

Give me some credit ;)

Even I can understand that Snout to Vent doesn't include legs.

I did look at that pic myself and couldn't believe I was now getting measurments of 19mm.

Especially as I was told she was approx 8months of age when I bought her which would have lead me to believe she was of adult size at purchase.

Either the fella I bought her from got her age drastically wrong, or she has just grown unbelievably.

I will try to get some "proof" photos later in the day for you all, if I am lucky enough to catch her on the glass again.

Regards,
Richie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts