Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to start working on tanks for my thumbnails and I would like to find out what they prefer from those of you that have had thumbnails for a while.

I would like to know which ones prefer tall tanks for climbing high and low or regular tanks for being on the ground.

What is a good size tank for a group of 4?

If a big enough tank was purchased would there be any that could be together, say ones that stay at the top and ones that stay at the bottom? Which ones?

How big would that tank need to be?

Are there any that do not want to be in a group at all? That would need to be just a pair? and if so, what size tank would be appropriate.

Has anyone ever bought a very large tank and divided it into equal sections and had different sets of frogs in each section? Would this even work, not talking about making the sections, that could be figured out, but as far as having different kinds of thumbs in each section. Would you have to worry about any type of disease or illness getting to the other sections from one section?

And lastly, I was wondering if you had say three 10 gallons on end or 3 20s on end, could you use one long CF light strip on legs to cover all three tanks or would it be best to have individual lights?

I am sorry that this is so long, but I really want to take all things into consideration when making these so that they will be as happy and healthy as they can be. I have retics, imitators and vents.

Thanks so very much for any help.
Rhonda :D

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
It all depends on the species, if you can keep them in groups or not. Some also like taller tanks than others.

Check here for some good info:
http://natures-web.org/

Here is how I keep mine:

I do plan on moving my vents and retics to normal 10gals, but need to build them first. I will then use the 2 taller tanks for some other frogs. My vents are just too shy, and I am hoping that a very leafy 10gal will make them a bit more bold. As for the retics they seem to like the floor, so no need really for the high tank. I also use a shoplight over my tanks, and it is working great. I use 2 sunstick bulbs and bought the bulbs and fixture for about $22 at lowes.

FrogByte11 said:
I am getting ready to start working on tanks for my thumbnails and I would like to find out what they prefer from those of you that have had thumbnails for a while.

I would like to know which ones prefer tall tanks for climbing high and low or regular tanks for being on the ground.

What is a good size tank for a group of 4?

If a big enough tank was purchased would there be any that could be together, say ones that stay at the top and ones that stay at the bottom? Which ones?

How big would that tank need to be?

Are there any that do not want to be in a group at all? That would need to be just a pair? and if so, what size tank would be appropriate.

Has anyone ever bought a very large tank and divided it into equal sections and had different sets of frogs in each section? Would this even work, not talking about making the sections, that could be figured out, but as far as having different kinds of thumbs in each section. Would you have to worry about any type of disease or illness getting to the other sections from one section?

And lastly, I was wondering if you had say three 10 gallons on end or 3 20s on end, could you use one long CF light strip on legs to cover all three tanks or would it be best to have individual lights?

I am sorry that this is so long, but I really want to take all things into consideration when making these so that they will be as happy and healthy as they can be. I have retics, imitators and vents.

Thanks so very much for any help.
Rhonda :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I have had imitators for about 18 months and have had them in about every tank known,LOL.First, I had my original pair in a 10 vert. The bottom of that developed a crack so I put them into a regular 10 g for awhile. I I built a 20 vertand put the pair into that. They stayed in there until last November when my male escaped on me. I sold the female but raised up another male and female and they are now in a 15 tall.They laid eggs in each tank so it really didn't matter to them.As for keeping them in groups I haven't had good luck at it the one time I did.When I first got them I had a 1.2 . The extra female would stomp eggs so I took her out.I
I am finishing up a set up with 3 -20verts tanks, Ben Green's design, and have a 96 watt cf kit that is going over them.It fits fine and provides LOTS of light. Hope this helps some,
Mark W.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have 2 vents(hopeful pair) in 30 gallon set up vertically. This is a lot of room for them, but they use the entire tank. They do prefer the upper sections though. That is where I see them (the few times that I do) the most. However, there is frog sign (poop) at all levels of the tank.

I don't see a problem with using one light over many tanks. It would be less expensive and probably more effecient.

-Ben

1 - 4 of 4 Posts