Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks.

I'm literally RACKing my brains over this one. You see, I have 4 D. imitator and soon will have 6 D. fantasticus. I'd like to separate them out into pairs, rather than deal with aggression issues. However, I'm operating on some limited resources (partly due to the purchase of 3 additional fantasticus.)

So, I'm thinking about putting together an inexpensive rack setup:

1x home-built table with 4' dual shoplights
5x 10 gal tanks

naturally, I'd love to get these tanks drilled for drains and on a misting system, so I was wondering what my options are in that regard. Do 10 gallon acryllic enclosures exist? Can they be bought inexpensively? Would I be better off setting up a bunch of verts? Am I completely insane?

I'm currently operating in rubbermaid hell, with the exception of 4 imitator in an 18gal, with a soggy, saturated soil bottom. Definitely a no-go for future attempts.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

-John

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dane.

Can you recommend a commercial rack setup or provide an example of a simple, inexpensive DIY setup?

-John

·
Registered
707 Posts
If ten gallon is what you had in mind and these dimensions are acceptable:
10 gallon Leader 20" x 10" x 12"

Then, a clear food polyethylene container is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. Here are the two best choices
12.5 Gallon Clear Carb-x® Container 18" x 26" x 9", $26.10 + $14.26 for the lid
21.5 Gallon Clear Carb-x® Container 18" x 26" x 15", $52.89 + $14.26 for the lid

The 12.5 is a 3" shorther than a 10G and would cost $40.00, so that probably doesn't meet your cost requirement. Acrylic for aquariums isn't cheap and putting it together takes some work. It doesn't look like there is much cast in these sizes.

Aquatic Eco has them as does US Plastics check under food products. Also, your local restaurant supplier may have them.

Maybe somebody else can find something cheaper.

Marcos

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the more I think about it, the more the 10 gallon verts make sense. I'd like to be able to see the frogs and have some sort of front-opening door. I guess that means I'm going to have to drill the glass in order to install a misting system, but that shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks very much!

-John

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice job, Dane! Are you planning on installing a misting system? If so, how?

Thanks!

-John

·
Super Moderator
3,628 Posts
I will be using a misting system. I already have the pump and nozzles, but I haven't drilled the tank tops yet. I don't think I'll be using it on the top row of tanks since they're already inhabited, and it would be a shame if I cracked any of them, but I'll be pre-drilling the next 8. My front hinged kits are a variation of Ben Green's design. Instructions for his front opening tanks are on his website (http://www.thechocohut.com).

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Sams club rack. 6 shelves (obviously you can't use each one) bcause the setup is 6 feet high, 4 feet long, and 18 inches wide. You can set it up to hold 4 10's per shelf using 2 shelves and four horizontal 10s on the third shelf using a total of four shelves. Hope that makes sense. 10's are cheap and they are easy to make into verts.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
jbates said:
Hi, folks.

I'm literally RACKing my brains over this one. You see, I have 4 D. imitator and soon will have 6 D. fantasticus. I'd like to separate them out into pairs, rather than deal with aggression issues.
I'm actually not sure why you want to separate these to pairs. Some of the best breeding groups of imitator I've seen were in, well, groups of course. The best fantasticus display I've seen is at some friend's that have a large vivarium that houses I don't know how many fantasticus. The last time I was there we watched 10 of them having an orgy on the same branch. It was very cool and has completely changed my opinion about the shyness of fantasticus.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I'm with Brent on this one. When i was in WA, Imitators and Fants were kept in relatively large and successful breeding groups of 4+. That being said I would have had the living arrangements worked out before I purchased the frogs. If you still feel inclined to pair them all off, 10 gallon tanks are cheap and the rack system that everyone is talking about cost $80 from COSTCO. The top row has 4 x 10 gallon verts (from FCA) with thumbnails; 2 imitators, 4 fantasticus, 3 vents and 7 panguana lamasi (still young and will be cut in half when I figure out the sexes). The second and third row hold 3 x 15" cubes (also FCA). Here is how they look:

4 Ten Gallon Verticals

1st Ten Gallon Vertical - 7 Panguana Lamasi (young)

2nd Ten Gallon Vertical - 2 Imitators (1.1)

3rd Ten Gallon Vertical - 4 Fantasticus (young)

4th Ten Gallon Vertical - 3 Ventrimaculatus (1.2)

3 15" Cubes 1st Row

1st 15" Cube - 2 Green Sips (1.1)

2nd 15" Cube - 5 Citranellas (young)

3rd 15" Cube - 3 Powder Blue Tincs (young)

3 15" Cubes 2nd Row

4th 15" Cube - 2 Orange Galacts (1.1)

5th 15" Cube - 4 Blue Azureus (2.2)

6th 15" Cube - 3 Imitators (1.2)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking about splitting them up because I don't really have the space for two large vivariums, and several smaller tanks would be easier for me to manage. Brent, when you say you saw a large group of fantasticus together in a large vivarium, how big of a viv are you talking about? Excellent cubes, btw, Dave!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
jbates said:
I was thinking about splitting them up because I don't really have the space for two large vivariums, and several smaller tanks would be easier for me to manage. Brent, when you say you saw a large group of fantasticus together in a large vivarium, how big of a viv are you talking about? Excellent cubes, btw, Dave!
I would guess it was in the 50 gal. range.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
50 gallons is, unfortunately, a little too large for a single tank. Then again, I'll only have 6. Perhaps a 30-40 gallon tank isn't entirely out of the question. Expensive as they are, I really like Oceanic's 40 gallon stretch hex. It has plenty of height and a beautiful amount of depth.

My initial reason for wanting to split these guys up into pairs was that one of my male imitator is smaller than the rest and I thought that might be due to him being out-competed for food. On the other hand, he's also the spunkiest of the bunch, often calling in the face of the other males.

I doubt there's really cause for concern here, but I'm curious to hear what you all have to say about it.

Thanks again,
John

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
jbates said:
50 gallons is, unfortunately, a little too large for a single tank. Then again, I'll only have 6. Perhaps a 30-40 gallon tank isn't entirely out of the question. Expensive as they are, I really like Oceanic's 40 gallon stretch hex. It has plenty of height and a beautiful amount of depth.

My initial reason for wanting to split these guys up into pairs was that one of my male imitator is smaller than the rest and I thought that might be due to him being out-competed for food. On the other hand, he's also the spunkiest of the bunch, often calling in the face of the other males.

I doubt there's really cause for concern here, but I'm curious to hear what you all have to say about it.

Thanks again,
John
I don't see why 6 fants in a 30 - 40 wouldn't work. At my last job a colleague kept his imitator in my office. I think they were in a 29 gal. viv. I think he started out with about a half dozen in there but they bred like rats. He just let the plants go nuts so the viv wasn't very attractive, the glass was always covered with algae and you couldn't see much except that there were a lot of imitators hopping around. My friend would periodically just pull out a few frogs to sell or trade and leave the little imitator factory to make more. It was nice having the trill of imitator not far from my desk without the responsibility of caring for them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks very much, Brent. I may just go ahead and build a larger tank for the fantasticus and keep them together as a group. I plan to re-do the imitator tank as well, since the soil is really far gone.

Thanks again!

-John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts