Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 36 gal bow front all made up pic at bottom and a 10 vert that has 2 leuc froglets in it. Question being i want thumbnails would it be better to put the thumbs in the 36 or put the luecs in the 36 and tear down and rebuild the 10 for them? If I go with the latter I would add 1, 2 or 3 more leucs to widen the gene pool a bit because the 2 I have are family I think. Also I added a large brom in the right side of this tank.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I looked at both and none really are quite up to thumb expectations. Even though a ten gallon vert is used by some people and they have success doesn't mean you can't go bigger than you already have. The more space the better! The thumbnails will thank you! I know you didn't quite say this but it came to me from the question you asked. I think you should redo it planting wise (Background looks nice) this tank if it doesn't have frogs in it, (if you are going the the thumb root) its great for a trio of leucomelas though. The reason I saw "no" is because first there is no leaf litter, 2 there is very little broms, and 3 there is a water feature. There are stories of thumb drowning in water features. Also think of hiding spots, thumbs love hiding spots! I can speak from experience. :D They love their broms and plants too. So don't be afraid to heavily plant the thing. Just don't load it so you wont see anything or else you over planted it and the plants cant grow. Some nice cheap methods for the thumbnails to breed and hide in are film canisters (I don't know but I love em) and jungle pods. Also since you are looking into thumbs, I find it easier to use a front opening viv. Thumbnails are much faster than the leucomelas your used to. DO A LOT OF RESEARCH! I did research for 1 whole year before getting my first frogs which turned out to be imitators. They are very cool to watch. And now looking back i'm glad i did it because in the long run, I successfully breed my frogs! It was so cool to see an imitator come out of water. They are just plain awesome frogs! Do the research and you will be fine.

Also slooow down! This hobby is very addicting but you dont want to get burned out to fast. Some people get a lot of species and then just get bored. Take it slow. I got my frogs almost a year ago and Ive yet to get another frog. Im waaiting till I can get my ultimate favorite frog:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have an almost completed tank about the size of a ten gallon vert (slightly bigger) and it is working fine for my thumbs even incomplete (needs a backround and more plants) but I think you should go with that tank for Leucs and a different one for thumbnails

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also anyone know where to get the mounts for suctioning bromeliads to tank walls that's is how I plan on setting up my backround it seems easier and functional in my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts