Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all dendro lovers ..

im new to this forum and i wanted to ask a few questions ..

1. how do you guys clean up calcium stains on the front of the viv glass ?
2. how to prevent molds from growing on the driftwood and general viv fixtures ?
3. would millipedes cause a problem for the frogs ?? would the frogs eat them ?

thanks in advance guys .

·
Registered
365 Posts
hi all dendro lovers ..

2. how to prevent molds from growing on the driftwood and general viv fixtures ?

thanks in advance guys .
1. I don't get calcium stains, but a razor blade is the fastest and safest way to scrape/clean your glass.

2. You don't prevent mold. It's a natural cycle in a vivarium. We use springtails to keep the mold in check.

3. Yes, millipedes are bad for your frogs.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Welcome!!
To answer your questions:
1) I use either vinegar on a cloth OR a lemon cut in half. Scrub the stain with either and clean with hot water.
2) Mold grows. Try and get some springtails (micro bugs) from a vendor on the forums. They will eat the mold and keep it to a minimum. Also, the frogs love to snack on them.
3) My experience with millipedes are bad. I would not have them in my frogs tank. Some millipedes can be poisonous. The only bugs you should have in your frog tanks are flies, springtails, and isopods. They are all food for the frogs and micro cleaners of the tanks. There are other kinds of bugs used occasionally as feeders but they are only fed to the frogs directly.

Enjoy the forums and try using the search. There is tons to learn and many amazing tanks to see.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
hi all dendro lovers ..

thanks in advance guys .
1. Lemon cut in half followed by DI water rinse...can't be beat.
2. Mold comes and goes. It really blooms when a tank is first set up. Nothing to worry about. It will die back and occasionally show up here or there. Springtails will consume it if present.
3. Millipedes are a pain. Frogs may eat a few, but likely not. Don't introduce them. If you have them already then there are two approaches. One is to CO2 bomb the tank (search function on that topic). The other method is to just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get ridiculous. A veteran member here used to say that given enough time, eventually most unwanted insect populations will die back to a "balanced" level. In my experience that seems to be true, but I would still CO2 bomb.

Reactions: Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies guys .. the problem is im in indonesia and i really dont
know where to find any springtails .. im trying out trapping sum isos in my garden
but so far no success .. :(:( ..

any other suggestions that i might find locally ??

thanks in advance .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts