Dendroboard banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,130 Posts
The thing that makes me most concerned when I look at builds like this is how wet the conditions have to be to keep that moss going. If, somehow, you could do the same thing you are doing but with no water at the bottom, maybe that would be acceptable from a frog husbandry perspective. You would have a lot harder time maintaining correct humidity levels without the crutch of having standing water in a reservoir under the substrate as most of us do in our builds, but it might be possible. This assumes that the ventilation is more frog-appropriate rather than moss-appropriate and that the moss would be ok without the standing water. My experience has usually been that either the frogs or the moss do well in my tanks. Occasionally, it's both, but not very often. So, maybe a soil-less build could work without the standing water in the bottom? It would be less likely to wick moisture to the point that the frogs have trouble finding dry space to stand.

Mark

·
Administrator
8,787 Posts
I have lived in Arizona for 10+ years. I've never built water areas into my poison dart frog vivariums - either naturally or via bowl.

It likely doesn't get a whole lot more arid than AZ.

I have never had any issues either.

Whoops. I did keep a couple Ameerega this way. But only because they were explosive breeders and I wanted to be sure there was a tadpole deposition area if I missed eggs.

Personally I think water areas are completely unnecessary. Keep a couple of small tadpole deposition sites. Think film canister sized.

s
1. I live in an arid climate where most keepers use shallow water bowls, I just build mine into the tanks

21 - 23 of 23 Posts