Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i would like to build a very big viv for my living room Im thinking an older entertainment center like:

Id cut that divider in the center.
With a Ero style sliding door in the front.

any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol funny made a thread about this about the same time.
I dont have the entertainment center yet im just gathering ideas and advice.
I will deffently be following your build looks like youve been thinking this over longer than i have :]

·
Registered
40 Posts
You could probably remove the divider without cutting it but taking the top off and then removing the divider and whatever holds it in place. That way if it becomes desirable to reinstall it, you could.

There's always the off chance that it needs that divider for rigidity (I have one that does), but it whatever you put in the back should more than make up for it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
what do you guys think about this one.

Already deciding to cut out the center and top divider.

Thinking about cutting 3 spots above the cabinet to take off the 2 peaces and getting 1 long peace of wood to support all.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
What is it made out of? Is it particle board / mdf or plywood? Also, the board the TV is sitting on, how is it attached? It looks like it doesn't go all the way to the left, but stops at the vertical board in the center.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is it made out of? Is it particle board / mdf or plywood? Also, the board the TV is sitting on, how is it attached? It looks like it doesn't go all the way to the left, but stops at the vertical board in the center.
ad on CL says its oak. that peace that the TV is sitting on stops at the vertical peace. Im thinking of cutting the vertical peace right where the 2 horizontal "above the cabinet and below the tv" and putting one solid peace all the way accross. here ill make a picture :]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ok, I see what you are planning on. It may be oak laminated mdf/particle board/plywood which would have made it more economically produced. I would send them an email and ask them what it is made of, if they don't know they can look at the back side and probably see. It also looks like it's 3/4" inch, but it's hard to tell, so I'd check that as well. How much are they asking for it?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I see what you are planning on. It may be oak laminated mdf/particle board/plywood which would have made it more economically produced. I would send them an email and ask them what it is made of, if they don't know they can look at the back side and probably see. It also looks like it's 3/4" inch, but it's hard to tell, so I'd check that as well. How much are they asking for it?
asking for the low low price of .. free

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've had this very same thought.

The only problem I ran across (in my head) was how to seal up the laminated wood. You might have to peel/sand off all the laminated portions on the interior of the viv so you could seal it properly (w/ drylock/pondshield etc).

Replacing the flimsy backer board on the entertainment center would probably help tighten the whole thing up pretty nicely. As well as when you frame out the front of the viv for sliding glass doors.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Steven, why would you need to seal the wood? If you properly seal all the glass there wouldn't be any moisture in contact with the wood.
I was thinking that he wanted to turn the entertainment center into a viv (akin to a plywood fish tank), not place a pre-made glass box inside of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts