Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to set up an extra viv for eventual froglets, or an impulse buy, etc. My son's toad viv has a base layer of pea gravel. This darn viv out produces all my other vivs in regards to springtail (re)production. I was truly considering making a 10 gal grow out for frogelts using pea gravel as the base layer topped with dead leaves. I have seen many many pics showing darts(particularly Phyllobates) being kept on pea gravel, and I wonder what the benefits and draw backs may be. I am fully aware that this method will result in a very heavy viv, hence the thread title.

Any other thoughts?

All my thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
202 Posts
In the past, I have made a couple of vivs with gravel topped with leaf litter. There really is not much of a difference except the weight, The plants do well in it, and it is easy to drain with a turkey baster or something. However once I made a viv with a false bottom, I did not want to go back to a hard to carry viv....

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the past, I have made a couple of vivs with gravel topped with leaf litter. There really is not much of a difference except the weight, The plants do well in it, and it is easy to drain with a turkey baster or something. However once I made a viv with a false bottom, I did not want to go back to a hard to carry viv....
I appreciate the input! I would like to make clear that this build would have a FB in place under the pea gravel. It would be a FB lifted approximately 1-1.5" off the glass floor. There will be an equal layer of gravel(1-1.5") on top of screening. Then a good layer of oak leaves. Other than it being quite heavy, what are some things to worry about/consider?

All my thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I have my azureus on pea gravel and ll, I have noticed no particular benefits or drawbacks. Microfauna production is good. I have a couple tanks with charcoal over gravel, then ll and those tanks are seriously rocking the bugs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah if your worried about the plants, they like it just as much as soil etc, if not more because gravel drains very well, especially if there is a fb under it. Also one thing to note that is a plus for gravel is that gravel does not deteriorate like peat,cocofiber,sphagnum would.... atleast not nearly as fast :rolleyes: so it is easier to make the viv a more "permanent" arrangement.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thats funny. My toad's viv uses pea gravel and the spring population is booming ! It would be nice as my plants thrive, but it is a heavy SOB to move.

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Using Turface would keep it a little lighter, would drain very nicely, would be very bug friendly, keep it cheap at about $10 for a 50 lb. bag from a John Deere Landscaper, and would provide some of the benefits of a clay substrate. If you used Turface, I would still use a false bottom.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Using Turface would keep it a little lighter, would drain very nicely, would be very bug friendly, keep it cheap at about $10 for a 50 lb. bag from a John Deere Landscaper, and would provide some of the benefits of a clay substrate. If you used Turface, I would still use a false bottom.
Would a 2" layer be appropriate? I have no desire for pools/streams/waterfalls/etc. I like very simple, natural environments. Any viv pics you have using Turface? I would like to see it employed...

All my thanks!

JBear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts