Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used Thoroseal as a rock forming agent for waterfalls and or other rock type formations in their Vivariums. I was thinking of using it in my new Dart tank and wanted to know the best thing to use that is non-toxic and not harmful for the plants or frogs. I'm in Canada so the agent must be able to be obtained without ordering it from the States. Any other suggestions for a quick forming fast drying drymix agent would be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
???

I was looking at Thorite in particular, I would try out Vivariun Concepts Quick dry mortar but allas she has a US business. If anyone can give me some hinters I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
why can't canadian's buy US products(supplies, not frogs that is) seems to be coming up alot lately? are you guys protesting us or is the border suddenly closed for shipping?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mainly

Mostly its the cost of shipping, exchange, and handling fee's. We can get frogs here as long as the company shipping them is CITES export cleared. I refuse to pay for extra fees if a similar product is available here, anyway thats the bottom line nuttin against the US my friend.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Shane,

That stuff looks like your general quick-set portland cement. I know that some people have used it. The recurring concern has been pH and if I remember correctly the pH of one of the folks using it in their vivarium was a bit higher than neutral (see link below). Also, I don't know if he ran a good test of his local water before he got the pH of the area exposed to this stuff. I think that most favor the view that your tropical rainwater that might be found pooling in the jungle is probably more acidic than basic, but haven't seen anything conclusive.

I have read about Thorite being used in aquariums, but that is a hard call since some freshwater fish like somewhat alkaline water. You might be able to overcome this by sealing the cement with epoxy or something similar if you want to deal with all that stuff. There are also grouts and from what I can find, most are either some sort of acrylic or silicone, made out of portland cement also, or some sort of epoxy. I have no idea what the vivarium safe stuff is made of, but I would be curious to find out. Some references say that left alone mortar in pools will give the water a pH of 8.0 which is probably a bit high. This thread is the closest thing I can think of:

http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5554

1 - 6 of 6 Posts