Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the absolute best day.

First I got access to a crap load of stemless orchids for my thesis project. Many of which are not comercialy avalible and are rarely kept in collections. Big plus.

Then as I am getting the tour of the orchid house the curator tells me to take what ever divisions I want for my own personal collection. So I start taking some small divisions because I don't want to be greedy, right. So what does he do - He starts lopping off blooming size divisions and handing them to me. I litteraly walked out with a garbage bag full of species orchids. No hybrids here. Tons of Bulbophyllum and related genera, Maxillaria tenufolia (forgive the spelling), Vanilla barbellata and quite a few others.

And Thursday I am going down to Selby Botanical gardens to get a behind the scenes tour and see thier Amorphophallus titanum which well be in full bloom at that point (and not on show to the public). I missed the NYBGs, I am not missing this one. I will post pics so you guys don't miss out either.

Life is good...

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Very cool, I only have 1 so far, and it is growing but no flowers yet.

Good luck with them and post some pics.

jhupp said:
I have had the absolute best day.

First I got access to a crap load of stemless orchids for my thesis project. Many of which are not comercialy avalible and are rarely kept in collections. Big plus.

Then as I am getting the tour of the orchid house the curator tells me to take what ever divisions I want for my own personal collection. So I start taking some small divisions because I don't want to be greedy, right. So what does he do - He starts lopping off blooming size divisions and handing them to me. I litteraly walked out with a garbage bag full of species orchids. No hybrids here. Tons of Bulbophyllum and related genera, Maxillaria tenufolia (forgive the spelling), Vanilla barbellata and quite a few others.

And Thursday I am going down to Selby Botanical gardens to get a behind the scenes tour and see thier Amorphophallus titanum which well be in full bloom at that point (and not on show to the public). I missed the NYBGs, I am not missing this one. I will post pics so you guys don't miss out either.

Life is good...

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
trading time?

Jhupp, remember I asked if you had Maximallaria tenufloria? Botanique http://www.pitcherplant.com is currently out of them. If its decent, could I maybe just buy it off of you? I have really nothing to trade for now. Unfortunately, I couldn't wait and bought a phaleonapsis hybrid for my tank. But I would definitely need that plant eventually for a mantella or pure tinctorius tank coming up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rembered somebody was asking me about it and I thought it was you but I wasn't sure. I will see what I can do: either another division of it from the parent plant or a small division off the one I have now. No garuntee, but I will try.

Are the plants doing ok for you?

G

·
0 Posts
Okay, I'm totally ignorant. What is a division and how does it add up? :lol:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A typical division has 3 or 4 mature pseudobulbs and one or two new or forming pseudobulbs, and would take a few years to get large enough to flower. A blooming size division is equvilant to a mature plant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts