Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 foot tall tank. The dimensions are 12 1/2" x 12 3/4 x 30". My question is, I have a nice ground area that a thumbnail frog might not utilize. I have a cocohut and a few plants down there, but my main question is, i'm going to a herp show in a few days, and if I can't find a thumb or if I can find one, one that fits my 70$ budget, I was thinking would a luec or tinc do alright because this is my only opportunity to get a dart for a loooooong time. i've been waiting a few months already. Would a luec or tinc climb?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've got citronella tincs that climb. they love to climp my bark background and sides, large broad leafed plants, and cork rounds that I have propped up. They even climb the glass! 12x12 is a pretty small ground space but i think if you weren't planning on going more than a couple you could do it. I still think thumbnails are a better choice though.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got citronella tincs that climb. they love to climp my bark background and sides, large broad leafed plants, and cork rounds that I have propped up. They even climb the glass! 12x12 is a pretty small ground space but i think if you weren't planning on going more than a couple you could do it. I still think thumbnails are a better choice though.
I actually was thinking 1, MAYBE 2 lol. I'm hoping for vents or imis, but I don't know what they'll have. The middle of my GS background overhangs over the bottom by about 2 inches , so the little guy might have an issue climbing. I just want it to be happy and serve as my pet/companion for many years to come.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I have a 3 foot tall tank. The dimensions are 12 1/2" x 12 3/4 x 30". My question is, I have a nice ground area that a thumbnail frog might not utilize. I have a cocohut and a few plants down there, but my main question is, i'm going to a herp show in a few days, and if I can't find a thumb or if I can find one, one that fits my 70$ budget, I was thinking would a luec or tinc do alright because this is my only opportunity to get a dart for a loooooong time. i've been waiting a few months already. Would a luec or tinc climb?
Tincs really are ground dwellers... it's pretty rare that I find mine more than 4-6" above the ground. Leucs and auratus climb a bit more in my experience, but while the do sometimes venture up, they still spend 75-85% of their time at ground level or just a few inches up on rocks or low growing plants. You could probably do one leuc or auratus, just realize it is a small floor area so don't waste it by covering it with plants or something. Thumbs would be so much better for the tank, if you find imis, vents, variabilis, etc. they would use the height much more, and you could get more than one so if you could get these it would probably be preferrable.
P.S. 30" isn't 3 feet high ;)
Good luck,
Bryan

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tincs really are ground dwellers... it's pretty rare that I find mine more than 4-6" above the ground. Leucs and auratus climb a bit more in my experience, but while the do sometimes venture up, they still spend 75-85% of their time at ground level or just a few inches up on rocks or low growing plants. You could probably do one leuc or auratus, just realize it is a small floor area so don't waste it by covering it with plants or something. Thumbs would be so much better for the tank, if you find imis, vents, variabilis, etc. they would use the height much more, and you could get more than one so if you could get these it would probably be preferrable.
P.S. 30" isn't 3 feet high ;)
Good luck,
Bryan
haha I know ;P but you know when someone says 3 foot tank they mean a 29g, which is just a bit higher than a 20 long, which is what i have. So luecs climb more? Hmmm. I don't know. Really anxious!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
haha I know ;P but you know when someone says 3 foot tank they mean a 29g, which is just a bit higher than a 20 long, which is what i have. So luecs climb more? Hmmm. I don't know. Really anxious!!!
Tricolor will climb like crazy - also have great call and personality. You could keep 3-5 in a 29g no prob - also moderate price range

·
Registered
599 Posts
can you put the tank on it's back? So it's 30" wide....

·
Registered
635 Posts
Go with Luecs:D. Mine climb all the time and barely see them on the ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts