Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I was told that I would become addicted to this hobby I didn't realize how serious people were. I can tell that I am going to be addicted and I am only getting my first frog this week. I am already planning a second tank!

On a side note since I am getting my first frog tomorrow. Could someone tell me how soon after getting it should I feed it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine ate the same day I brought them home.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
483 Posts
Let it settle in for most of the day and then offer 5 or so flies to see if it is interested. If it's hiding, don't go digging for it and try feeding the day after. A feeding station (small piece of banana) will attract flies and keep them off your frog if you overfeed.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Not an addiction. I dont like people using that word. Addiction is a bad thing.

I feed my frogs as soon as I can. Their trip home, is stressful. I like them to have a snack to settle into. Like a chocolate on a pillow.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not an addiction. I dont like people using that word. Addiction is a bad thing.

I feed my frogs as soon as I can. Their trip home, is stressful. I like them to have a snack to settle into. Like a chocolate on a pillow.
I agree that addiction is usually seen as a bad thing. This is definitely not a bad thing; I love it! I just don't have any other word to describe it. :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also since the frog is going to be a froglet i was thinking it'd be best to feed it the same day it arrived.

·
Registered
432 Posts
same boat as soon as i got my first tank planned on a second and third now have 8 tanks. and i would wait a day

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
same boat as soon as i got my first tank planned on a second and third now have 8 tanks. and i would wait a day
So wait a day even for a froglet?

I know I am going to run out of room if I keep planning tanks like this lol

·
Registered
432 Posts
So wait a day even for a froglet?

I know I am going to run out of room if I keep planning tanks like this lol
yes. let it get use to the transaction that just tanken place from one tank to a new one. after i did this with mine the next they they all ate

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes. let it get use to the transaction that just tanken place from one tank to a new one. after i did this with mine the next they they all ate
Ok, I think I might do this just to allow it time to settle in to the new environment.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hah! I knew it! :D
Its really ridiculous and funny because my first tank isn't even complete (missing the frog), and i'm already thinking of setting up others. There are just many PDFs that I am interested in and know that I cannot mix them. The only solution is to set up more tanks. :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Haha...welcome to the addiction (you can say fascination if you wish to avoid any negative connotation). One word of advice: Plan your purchases carefully and give yourself a little time to think before you impulse buy. Make sure you really want the species/morph you are choosing...don't get them because they are cheap/easy to acquire. I made that mistake in the beginning and had some frogs that I wasn't crazy about. Now I'm very selective about what I get (and give myself a long time to think about it before I purchase). Not only will you love the frogs you have, they will seem more special because it took time to get them...I hope this makes sense:)

Good Luck and welcome to one of the most rewarding hobbies I have ever been part of (I think its more than just a hobby...but I digress),
-Field

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha...welcome to the addiction (you can say fascination if you wish to avoid any negative connotation). One word of advice: Plan your purchases carefully and give yourself a little time to think before you impulse buy. Make sure you really want the species/morph you are choosing...don't get them because they are cheap/easy to acquire. I made that mistake in the beginning and had some frogs that I wasn't crazy about. Now I'm very selective about what I get (and give myself a long time to think about it before I purchase). Not only will you love the frogs you have, they will seem more special because it took time to get them...I hope this makes sense:)

Good Luck and welcome to one of the most rewarding hobbies I have ever been part of (I think its more than just a hobby...but I digress),
-Field
Haha!! I completely agree!! This is more than just a hobby. I do prefer the term fascination (I dont know why I didn't think of that word before; good job!!).

I completely agree with what you are saying. I plan on possibly planting and setting up another tank this month or the next and then waiting a bit before I get my next frog (even if that means fighting temptation). I really love "powder greys" "oelemari" and "citronella" so one of those might end up being my next PDF.

Which species/morphs would you suggest?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The only D. tinctorious morph I have kept is "inferalanis" which I believe are similar to "oelemarie". I really like the way "bakhuis" look, but I have heard that they are one of the shier morphs. "Giant orange" are really beautiful, if I were considering getting tincs I think that would be my choice.
Hopefully others with more tinc experience will chime in here...

Have you considered D. leucomelas? They were the first frogs I got when I got back into the hobby and absolutely love them...truly amazing frogs. I think it may be impossible to be disappointed with D. leucomelas.

Check this thread out if you want more ideas: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/science-conservation/71994-keeping-species-morphs-going-hobby.html

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only D. tinctorious morph I have kept is "inferalanis" which I believe are similar to "oelemarie". I really like the way "bakhuis" look, but I have heard that they are one of the shier morphs. "Giant orange" are really beautiful, if I were considering getting tincs I think that would be my choice.
Hopefully others with more tinc experience will chime in here...

Have you considered D. leucomelas? They were the first frogs I got when I got back into the hobby and absolutely love them...truly amazing frogs. I think it may be impossible to be disappointed with D. leucomelas.

Check this thread out if you want more ideas: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/science-conservation/71994-keeping-species-morphs-going-hobby.html
I love D. leucomelas, and have definitely considered them. They are definitely amazing. For the leucs would 10g/frog be appropriate?

I seem to like really bright and showy frogs, but I don't think I would be opposed to getting something not as showy as long as its made up for with "personality."

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I think, I might have to say its a mix of a hobby, addiction, and fascination. I'm more so into Viv's right now. The time, love, construction, and all that you put into a good viv makes you love this. If you are more on the Frog side of the hobby, collecting Darts might be a real life form of POKEMON. Would we all like to "catch em all" or have them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is an addiction. But is it a bad one?

I let my frogs settle in for a couple hours before dropping in a few flies to see if there hungry... there always hungry.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is an addiction. But is it a bad one?

I let my frogs settle in for a couple hours before dropping in a few flies to see if there hungry... there always hungry.
My frog came in today. I let him settle in for a couple of hours and then fed him some. :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think, I might have to say its a mix of a hobby, addiction, and fascination. I'm more so into Viv's right now. The time, love, construction, and all that you put into a good viv makes you love this. If you are more on the Frog side of the hobby, collecting Darts might be a real life form of POKEMON. Would we all like to "catch em all" or have them.
Ha!! Now that you put it that way it is definitely like Pokemon! Never thought about it that way

1 - 20 of 23 Posts