Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about getting into frogging. ive done saltwater fish now for 5years and im looking for a new challenge.
Im thinking about using the tank i added a pic of. its 50gallon acrylic. is it ok?
how long do the backgrounds last? the bark kind
or is there something better?
thinkin about doing a flase bottom and waterfall

·
Registered
210 Posts
Looks like a good tank. The cork backgrounds last for years. They are a pretty permanent fixture in the viv though they will get green with plant life. Frogging is one of the greatest hobbies.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Cork bark backgrounds can last a long time. I've got 7 plus years on one. I do cork bark backgrounds, cork bark mosaic (chunks glued on and cracks deliberately left to be filled in with sphagnum), cork bark and clay. Here are some shots of cork bark backgrounds for you.

Put a glass lid on. An acrylic lid lying over that will warp and your frogs will escape.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to the hobby! just be warned... it really is so addictive. I'm only a newbie so I'm not enough of an authority to offer advice, but this forum has all the information you could possibly need!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Welcome aboard! You will become addicted lol. Take a look at the care sheets for species, stickies in each section such as builds, supplies, plants etc. The search feature is essential in finding critical information. Remember you can use part of the word and have a * after it. It will search everything similar.

Example galac* for Galactonotus

yes that hex looks good to me. You must seal up every inch so nothing not even a fruit fly can escape.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Welcome aboard! You will become addicted lol. Take a look at the care sheets for species, stickies in each section such as builds, supplies, plants etc. The search feature is essential in finding critical information. Remember you can use part of the word and have a * after it. It will search everything similar.

yes that hex looks good to me. You must seal up every inch so nothing not even a fruit fly can escape.
I didn't know that, Steve! Going to have to give that a try. The * thing I mean.

·
Registered
568 Posts

OMG! The asterix is my new best friend!

·
Registered
321 Posts
OMG! The asterix is my new best friend!
Score! Np guys. The forum has a great amount of key points, scholarly knowledge and interesting facts so I hope the * helps out :).

Welcome again :)

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I think you'll find that a number of concepts from reef keeping readily transfer over to keeping dendrobatid frogs.

Ed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. i know all about the addiction of are animal hobbies. i now have a 130gallon reef tank and a 100 gallon lionfish tank. And i can def see how frogs would be addicting to. exspecially since you cant mi the different colors together.

any ideas where i can get the egg crate material to do a false bottom? as far as substrate one thing i was reading a guy said he doesnt use dirt or bark cause it rotts. he just uses aqaurium gravel and leaves? can you do that or is dirt better?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Cork bark backgrounds can last a long time. I've got 7 plus years on one. I do cork bark backgrounds, cork bark mosaic (chunks glued on and cracks deliberately left to be filled in with sphagnum), cork bark and clay. Here are some shots of cork bark backgrounds for you.

Put a glass lid on. An acrylic lid lying over that will warp and your frogs will escape.
What are the black film cases hanging in your cage for?

·
Registered
379 Posts
any ideas where i can get the egg crate material to do a false bottom? as far as substrate one thing i was reading a guy said he doesnt use dirt or bark cause it rotts. he just uses aqaurium gravel and leaves? can you do that or is dirt better?
You can find the eggrate at Home Depot for about 10-13 bux per sheet. The sheet is pretty large though and will work for many tanks. I use ABG mix found online at Joshsfrogs.com for substrate.

-Chris

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
lucky for you marlin you live in dart frog mecca. So many great breeders around here. You can meet Darren Meyer at the reptile expo in renton this month, april 30th. He has a ton of awesome frogs. I don't know if some of the other breeders will be there or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im thinking about just doing a gravel bottom with some moss over that? good or bad idea?
and where is this show? i may go. might be ready for frogs by then

1 - 16 of 16 Posts