Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the nursery today, and they were selling coco fiber mats on a roll for about $1.50 a foot. It's meant to go in the bottom of large hanging wire baskets, but I was wondering if it could be used for a viv? The stuff is about 1/2" thick, and kind of flexible. Well, not stiff anyway. Still, it's a lot cheaper than most viv sites sell coco fiber mats.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know. But what I've mostly seen at viv sites is thicker, and able to support its own weight without being glued to the back of the tank. I'm wondering if this stuff would collapse with the weight of plants growing on it.

G

·
its what I use, I glue it to the back with silicone, and cut extra pieces and hot glue it to the back to make pockets the plant in. works pretty good. Lately I've seen even thinner, aprox 1/4 inch sold for hermit crabs, but its expensive, $6 for a piece to fit a ten gal.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went down to the nursery yesterday to buy some, and they had a 36" roll that had 3/4" thick coco panel. I needed to cover an area of 48" x 17", so I bought 2' and cut it in half the short way so I ended up with two 24" x 18" pieces. It cost $4.50 per foot, so I ended up spending $9. A certain well known terrarium store online charges $19.99 for a 22.25" x 7.25" panel, so I think I made out pretty well.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what's the overall consensus on tree fern backing?

G

·
It's great, but not sustainable. I have used it in the past, but refuse to use anything non-sustainable in terrariums any more-- especially with such good other options now available.
j

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
SUch as?

G

·
coir matting

The coir matting is great for use inbetween a falsebottom or gravel bottom and your soil. I use it in all my tanks. It can also be used for a background, but it needs to be siliconed on well. I carry the coir in a large roll and sell it by the sq. ft. The roll is 39"W x 50'L

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.