Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off i apologize if this has been covered before. I used the search function but to no avail. Could be user error!:p Nearing completion of my 4 foot tall 2x2 build. I went the GS cocofiber route for half the enclosure and faux rock for the other (pics to come when its presentable enough) But the cocofiber/titebond mix is just not to my liking. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on a thin layer of clay over the GS/cocofiber. It would eliminate the slumping issues associated with the weight of clay, but would the thin layer flake off or peel or? Ive read the clay threads extensively and understand the biofilm idea. Any input from you guys with clay backgrounds or more knowledge then i (which isnt hard!) would be great
Nate

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Do you know if it would stick well? I'd be worried about it... also a think layer may end up peeling off if it has a chance to dry out.

·
Registered
802 Posts
It would eliminate the slumping issues associated with the weight of clay...
I've got a lot of clay on mine and haven't had any slumping issues. There is a part near the bottom that I'd say is at least 6" thick and it slopes up from there to the top that is maybe a half inch thick. So far it hasn't slumped. Clay backgrounds can be pretty stable, they don't always have problems :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link! I did read that but I've let the gs cure for around 8 months now so I dint think expansion will be an issue. I guess I'll just try a small part and guinea pig it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts