Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
The issue is that there is extra heat not how it's delivered which poses a risk to the glass.

I'm not sure exactly why that is supposed to be beneficial but if it applies heat directly to the glass, there's still a risk of cracking.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shoulda been more clear, one could make vents coming out the top and place the thermoelectric cooler there
| |..................| |
viv is down here

·
Registered
552 Posts
Oh so on top? I suppose that would work, the cool air would naturally displace the warm viv air. I would hook it up to thermostat though, a decent proportional one to make sure there aren't big swings in temperature. You'd also have to worry about dehumidifying the viv air because of the chimney like effect that would create.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how would it dehumidify the air? cuz i have no idea what the chimney effect is

·
Registered
552 Posts
how would it dehumidify the air? cuz i have no idea what the chimney effect is
If outside air is cooled and falls into the viv it displaces warm humid air which rises out the top. The movement of warm air up draws more air out which is what happens in a chimney and why you don't get a smokey living room.

If cooler was relatively sealed off from outside air it wouldn't be much of an issue, but that also means you'd expose the unit to humid tank air consistently.

It might not happen to any appreciable affect, just something to keep an eye on if you try it. It looks interesting.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm not going to be doing that anytime soon since summer is a long time away, but i'll keep this updated if it works. but if it does work, it would be a way to heat/cool the tank without having to heat/cool the whole house to 73 degrees

·
Registered
239 Posts
They work but there are some serious drawbacks to using them.

They are terribly inefficient to use and by the time you've assembled enough units and controller to get the temp pull down you need you've more than likely spent enough money to make a 1/10 or 1/15 hp chiller start to attractive (or more than pay for).

IceProbe Aquarium/Water Chiller by Coolworks

Another issue distributing the chill inside a viv/ keeping the inhabitants away from the cold probe. I'd expect that you could use an iceprobe in air rather than water, but that it's prolly not the best solution to the issue unless you are dealing w/ something rather small like a single 10 or 20 gallon tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thermoelectric cooling sounds very interesting. I will definitely check this out because I am looking for a new chiller anyway. At the moment I am trying chiller rentals because this is the best way to bypass the time until I have found the right device for my requirements. As I said I will also check if the thermoelectric cooling is an option for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts