Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is some lichen on my bark.
It's a large piece of cork bark sold by Zoo Med.

Is it safe for the terrarium? Should I remove it from the bark first before
using it in a terrarium?

Thoughts?

lichen.jpg

thank you,
Steve

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just boil my wood or bark before I put it in the tank and never had a problem with any of it.
Boil it? Ooops.... What if I didn't?
Do other people boil their wood? Or just stick it in the tank? I did of course hose it off.... Some of my wood is quite large and would never fit into a pot...

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was having the same issues except it is on some driftwood attached to my background. Im glad to hear its not harmful and that I can continue to use the tank. :)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Boil it? Ooops.... What if I didn't?
Do other people boil their wood? Or just stick it in the tank? I did of course hose it off.... Some of my wood is quite large and would never fit into a pot...

Thanks
Steve
yes usually everyone boils there wood before they put it in the vivs.
then they bake it.
I've seen some pretty freaky looking cocoons and whatnot on cork bark before.
I wouldn't worry about it now....just hope you didn't bring anything with it lol

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
There is some lichen on my bark.
It's a large piece of cork bark sold by Zoo Med.

Is it safe for the terrarium? Should I remove it from the bark first before
using it in a terrarium?

Thoughts?

View attachment 22590

thank you,
Steve
It's fine. It won't grow in the tank and will probably simply mold and decompose rapidly but it is fine.

Unless your cork bark is being stored outside there isn't any need to boil or bake it as it was fumigated before being allowed in the US to prevent insects from being imported.
As an aside, boiling or baking or both are not adequate methods of dealing of disinfecting or sterilizing wood or bark. You have to be able to get the core temperature of the material hot enough to guarantee that all pockets and crevices are heated sufficiently and this is very difficult using the above methods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts