Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
a few months ago I mentioned I was planning a build. After playing around with some measurements and some pieces of cardboard, I came to a decision. I currently have no way to take pictures, but that issue will be fixed shortly.
I can however, give some dimensions, which should get my idea out there. I am about to go get lumber, but before I did I thought I would see if anyone had any ideas or suggestions for changes.
the height of the unit is 80 inches tall. it will be a hexagon, like this:

I will be building 2 separate enclosures, one on top of the other, both of which sitting over a small pond. here is what the viewing area will look like:

there will be a 4 inch gap between the bottom of the top viv and the top of the lower viv. this gap will house the lighting, misting, and fans.
I plan on running a constant stream waterfall from the top enclosure to the pond, using the pond filter to pump the water up to the top.
I am looking to purchase the lumber this weekend, maybe sooner, so if anyone has any ideas or sugggestions that might affect the lumber purchase, or really anything, let me know.
(I just noticed the pics I added in the message didnt look like they were working, so I attatched them as well)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I would put the lizard viv on top. Heat from the lights will raise the temps of the top viv more than the lower one.

Also, are you building it out of wood? What are your plans to water proof it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am building it out of wood. I was thinking along the same lines for putting the lizards on the top. as for waterproofing, I am going to be building the background out of GS. I will be coating all the GS in silicon. then covering that with ecoearth, and cococoir. I was going to coat all the wood from the support structure with silicon as well, but decided, that sense the GS will be completely coated I should not need to? ideas?
the shape is a bit wierd, but that is just what fits best in the location available, and what glass I have available.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping to get a bit more input or advice.. guess I will just go with all the different things I have read and hope things go well without too much need for alterations.
I did the calculation for the viv size, and each viv will be just over 200 gal!! lots of floor space for the azureus group I plan on putting in here. I am undecided as to whether to go with dwarf chameleons, a gecko species, or a basilisk species for the lizards. I should be in the home improvement store this weekend!! very excited to finally start this project.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hold on...you are going to make it waterproof using GS? Not a good idea.
I would seal the (ply)wood completely with epoxy and maybe with pond foil.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yeah, you should really seal the complete plywood tank with marine epoxy or a few other paint-on sealers. Check out MFK for plywood tank builds, they always build massive tanks out of plywood so you need not guess on what to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts