Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my frogs today :D sexed pair of D. Azureus and 4 red morph Galac's and my god much prettier then the pics online. There all in there own shoe box with gravel and leaf litter and its hard to see in. :cry: I just like to say that these things are really prettier then any pics i have seen of them. I seen allot of good pics too and you cant fully enjoy how pretty they are tell you see one in real life. well worth the wait, well worth the money, well worth messing with the flies :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Great!!

I totally agree with you on that...photographs do not do them justice. Your frogs should do great in the shoeboxes for a few months in which they can be transferred to a larger viv such as a 15 - 20 gallon. Best of luck and get some pics up if possible (kinda contradicting, dontcha think ;P ?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Instead of shoeboxes I use Rubbermaid stainshield tupperware containers they cost about $6 from walmart alittle more than shoeboxes but they are clear acrylic with clear acrylic tops. They are great because you can still enjoy the beauty of your frogs during the quarantine period. Also usefull if you need to keep a frog for observation. because they seal tight flies wont escape so you can assure they eat. One caution is they do not have vents so CO2 could build up. I open mine atleast once a day and have never had a problem but i can imagine it could be. Also they are very easy to clean and look quality.

Darryl
Dart-Frogs.com

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Another great idea to use are display cases from a hobby store for baseballs, model cars, doll, and ect. I like them a lot and I use them at show when I sell frogs. I saw a vendor do this at a show a year ago and I had to steal his idea. They are a great look and you can see through them. They cost more than shoe boxes but at least you can enoy the frogs.
Later and Happy frogging,
Jason Juchems

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about using little 2.5 or 5 gallon aquariums? I saw a 2.5 acrylic aquarium this weekend for $3.50 at the pet store and had to buy it. figured a piece of scrap plexiglass for the top should seal it well enough for a temp tank. ya think that this would work okay?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Never thought about the C02 build up in the shoeboxes/rubbermaids. Glad mine are filled with pothos/creeping fig, so that they sue the C02 and supply oxygen.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ventilation

Ventilation in the sealed shoeboxes is not necessary considering the boxes are opened at leats twice a day (and should be). I'll often use the lids as a 'fan' and circulate the existing air out, while replacing it with 'fresher' air. Ive had no problems using this method.

-Bill J.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Very cool, and I also agree, though I am trying to get some pictures that show it. :)

Beriss said:
Got my frogs today :D sexed pair of D. Azureus and 4 red morph Galac's and my god much prettier then the pics online. There all in there own shoe box with gravel and leaf litter and its hard to see in. :cry: I just like to say that these things are really prettier then any pics i have seen of them. I seen allot of good pics too and you cant fully enjoy how pretty they are tell you see one in real life. well worth the wait, well worth the money, well worth messing with the flies :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pics are what hooked me. The real thing is what reeled me the rest of the way in. When I got my frogs i was about to put them in there shoe boxs and paused and took a good look at them. :shock: Also I have had a TON of other frogs, salamanders, sirens, toads and neat fish, but none of them show as much personilty as these frogs. I went to spray my male Azureus and had it on stream instead of spray and was like whoops and he turned around and gave me a dirty look like i did it on purpose. :p I will post some pics when i figure out this digi camera i got for christmas. I have taken about 200 pics with it and only 3 out of 200 came out decent and it was of my daughter. None of the pics I took of my tanks turned out clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts