Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So first off I know it looks crappy.
This is the first rock I have ever built and I kind of thought I would have more freedom with the grout, and so did not put any detail into the styrofoam :(
Anyway Do you think that when it grows in it might still look ok? I also plan on using good stuff to add "dirt" to cover certain parts of it. Can you think of a way to save this or should I just make a new one?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i think the formation actually looks quite nice its a little uniformly colored and light. I think you shoudl drybrush some acrylic paint over it and i think you'll be much happier with it. I think you can make thicker grout to make it more sculptable - and add sand to it for texture too for your next rock, but in the meantime, this one looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
708 Posts
It doesn't look too horrible. But, if you're not happy with it now, you'll never be thrilled with it. Personally, I'd scrap it. Your second go around will be much better now that you have a little experience under your belt. Do a little bit more carving before you cover it with grout, get it the exact shape you want first. I'm sure it will turn out stellar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it looks great too and agree with the suggested painting and sand, but have a question as I have never made my own rocks. Do you coat it with silicone after or is there another product for this?:eek:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
if you cure the grout fully, there is no need for silicone!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually had a thread going on this but cant seem to find it. Maybe I am just imagining things haha. Anyway in that thread pretty much everyone suggested coating it with something even if curing completely because materials can get lodged in the nooks and cranies and form colonies under the grout. Some say that fully curing is all you need to do though.
If you are coating it in something though epoxy seems to be chosen more often over silicone. This is because epoxy forms a hard shiny surface whereas silicone forms a soft surface that does not always look ideal.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wondering, is non sanded grout smoother? If so I think I will go with that on the new rock I want to build. Does anyone know some good color combos to make nice looking rocks? I was just using black and white and mixing to different shades before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts