Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this fixture built for a long time and used it over a ten gallon planted aquarium. It houses 2 x 27watt cfl's and i also have a 80mm computer fan to make it run cool. It was a really fast construction originally and looked like crap, so when i went to put new bulbs i decided to make it a little less ugly. In the mean time, i put a 15 watt strip light over the viv. I can't believe how gross it made my tank look! hahaha the bulb makes everything seem washed out and purplish

In the picture it doesn't look as bad as it does in person. Here is another pic

Its an 8000k 15 watt bulb. The dang thing must have a CRI of like 60 hahaha. Well i put some nice veneer on the other light, replaced the bulbs, and added a switch. It doesn't look that good, but better than before. That and it doesn't make the inside of my tank look like vomit! lol. Here is the inside

front

And the tank. This is my first viv, so it's not great. The light also doesn't look that bright because i'm just using my cheap phone to take pics. Its really about 3x as bright as the strip light.

Close up of clay background

Well.... there ya go. This thread was mainly for poops and giggles cuz i don't want to do my homework haha. Questions? comments? criticism? Thanks for lookin,

Ryan

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ totally agree. I think you can create an incredible viv with the coolest plants and the most beautiful frogs, but if you have a sub-par light over it, its not worth the time. Sitting back and staring at your all your hard work and seeing all the beautiful colors of nature that we recreate is one of the most rewarding things in this hobby :) I also love woodworking and do it yourself projects!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts