Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was switching my Western Chorus Froglets to a new tank. There were 3 of them in a cube plastic box to start. Everytime the lid was open to catch 1, a different 1 would shoot out onto my shirt, arm, counter, etc. It was a NIGHTMARE! After I thought that the mission had been accomplished(10 mins later...), I see a damn froglet staring at me from my stove! Just wanted to share the story, and ask "How do most people work with very fast, tiny froglets?"

Thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
527 Posts
gotta get the frog tube dude! clear plastic ~1-2" dia tube. crack the lid, sneak it up on them, they hop inside. easy money.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Very carefully.... Happens mostly when I'm trying to get frogs into containers to ship.... Whenever possible I ask a second person to be there to watch for movement beyond the current frog I'm dealing with. I'm sure it's not foolproof, but I've never had a problem when a second person is watching.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
First off, two thumbs up for the clear frog tube! I kid you not, they don't even see it coming. Just bring it in nice and slow and they don't even twitch.
Jake, that's because they are watching us. They only go for the door when we're alone! It's good entertainment for them!
JBear, you haven't seen fast frogs till you've seen a couple of Benedictas get startled. It's like looking inside a popcorn popper!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plastic cube box had a hinge lid. So to get them out, it had to be opened in that way. As I was cracking the lid, they were flying out. I like the idea of the frog tube(!), but it could not have been used in this situation. I normally use wet brine nets to remove tads and froglets, etc. It seemed if the lid cracked an inch, they were "on it"! Thanks for the feedback. And for the record, I would love to see how fast benedicta are... LMAO! :p

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are some pics of the escape artists.

I wanted to add that I appreciate the fact you guys were very nice in overlooking that these were not Darts. They are however an American Version. The only diff is slightly lower preferred temps and only seasonal humidity, and a nocturnal preference. They are tiny, lovely, and behave the same as darts(including feeding regimen). They actually make me want an Ameerega, LOL!

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi all,

may I tell you my horror story? I have been feeding pinhead crickets a while ago to my tincs and some escaped (little pests even made it to the bedroom and were chirping later :mad:).

Last week I was misting my benedicta tank and I saw somthing crawl under a shoe that was lying around. Your time is come cricket, I thought and stepped on the shoe. It was one of these kicks you would only deliver to your worst enemy and I was very pleased to hear a nice "crack". Then I looked under the shoe, pleased with my work, just to find my male benedicta looking at me.:eek::eek::eek:. It must have sneaked out while I was misting and hid near the talon and escaped death like that, while the cricket was reduced to mush. I did absolutely not see him come out of the tank.

Can you feel me at that point? Not only was it a benedicta, it was my only male bendicta...

He is totaly fine, I got eggs feom my trio yesterday :). Frogs can break the sound barrier without any noise, take care people, take care. Maybe we should add the following to the care sheets: 0-60mph acceleration.

benedicta 0-60: immediately!

Have a nice day!

gluedl

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,

may I tell you my horror story? I have been feeding pinhead crickets a while ago to my tincs and some escaped (little pests even made it to the bedroom and were chirping later :mad:).

Last week I was misting my benedicta tank and I saw somthing crawl under a shoe that was lying around. Your time is come cricket, I thought and stepped on the shoe. It was one of these kicks you would only deliver to your worst enemy and I was very pleased to hear a nice "crack". Then I looked under the shoe, pleased with my work, just to find my male benedicta looking at me.:eek::eek::eek:. It must have sneaked out while I was misting and hid near the talon and escaped death like that, while the cricket was reduced to mush. I did absolutely not see him come out of the tank.

Can you feel me at that point? Not only was it a benedicta, it was my only male bendicta...

He is totaly fine, I got eggs feom my trio yesterday :). Frogs can break the sound barrier without any noise, take care people, take care. Maybe we should add the following to the care sheets: 0-60mph acceleration.

benedicta 0-60: immediately!

Have a nice day!

gluedl
That would have given me a heart attack to see a "potentially" crushed frog! I can imagine the relief when he was well was amazing.... I think I found a random froglet in my backroom when I was transfering. I moved 3 from the 1 tub to the other, and when I took a head count(after all the escapes and (re)captures) I had 4... That's what you get when you neglect to use a lid on a rearing tank, lmao!

JBear

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I've opened containers with large groups of treefrog froglets in the container and usually had to be very careful to not disturb them as that usually results in a popcorn like effect and keeping track of all of the froglets was often very difficult

Ed

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've opened containers with large groups of treefrog froglets in the container and usually had to be very careful to not disturb them as that usually results in a popcorn like effect and keeping track of all of the froglets was often very difficult

Ed
You are not kidding, Ed! It was very time consuming. They were flying out of both containers as I was transfering. It was very similar to popcorn. Plus it was in low light conditions(dumb). I am sure there are at least 2 or 3 peepers somewhere in my frog room. A friend of mine raised a group of tads in his basement and failed to get the lid on in time. A group metamorphed and are now breeding in his basement turtle ponds(3 or 4 years now). I guess they help the spiders and escaped food prey, etc, but the chorus can be deafening when coming from under your feet ;) !

JBear

·
Registered
557 Posts
I found one that sneak escaped while I was feeding once.
I must have been in total la-la land to have missed it.:confused:
Came back in the room 20 min. later to see an animated dust kitty in the middle of the floor.
Washed the poor, sticky, dust bunny covered critter off in tad tea and popped him back in the tank and hoped for the best.
Thankfully he was fine.
Now I am VERY cautious... I leaned my lesson.:eek:

It is a nightmare for sure!

BTW. True story.
Had a California golden newt that snuck out and was on the loose once.
The cat played with it and died. The cat that is. Not the newt.
The newt was a little dry and battered up but otherwise fine.
The vet couldn't even save the cat... it was gone in 2 hours.

Todd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts