Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am New to Dendroboard so please bear with me I am still using Dendrobates for my vents have there been any name changes. I am not aware of any But my books are old and I just catch glimpses of frogs with different names but they resemble my Vents, Which by the way I am looking to do some trading I have ohhhhhh about 12 froglets, 10 with back legs, and bunch more tadpoles not including the eggs that I have been harvesting.
But back on topic I would like to be underthe right toic with my frog s so playing catch up is my game right now.
I have been keeping Luecs problely bought 10 years but I never harvested any eggs from them and they did real good on there own. I started out with3 females and 2 males in a forty gallon and it did look sweet,ended up with 14 frogs and froglets after a couple years, of course I had to thin them out but i did have a good run with my Leucs, now I have more tanks and I want more Dart frogs

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Or variabilis. What type of vents, from where? Pictures?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe I found the correct name, I could be wrong , but think they are Dendrobates. I'm not positive, believe they are from the Sean Stweart line. I bought them from Josh's Frogs and he told me I had two diferent blood lines.
Everything I have is posted in my gallery, if you can use a picture to tell.
Thank you

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
If you got them from Josh, I would contact him for exact ID. It can be difficult to tell from pictures, as many morphs are very similar and there are variations within morphs.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Like Kris said, contact Josh. If they are ventrimaculata they are now classified as either Ranitomeya variabilis or Ranitomeya amazonica. You would need to know what population you have.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
agreed, ask Josh, as UE has many locals ( Borja, Blackwater, Iquitos, and Rodyll)... out of those four best guess would be a borja... but maybe its an older line thats not site specific. as you can see this can be confusing and the only way to know is have the seller tell you.

if you find out its a borja, then itll be a variabilis :( (i got screwed in the change since i work with UE borja's hahaha)

which i wish josh's site was a bit more specific to began with
http://www.joshsfrogs.com/frogs/thu...s/dendrobates-ventrimaculatus-sean-stewart-li

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
The site isn't more specific, as there is no known locale data for most of the older lines of vents. Back in the day, they were simply called 'French Guiana Vents' (or blue legged/gray legged vents). Most of the thumbnails that have been around in the hobby a long time were imported as 'quinquevittatus' - that includes imitators, vents, variabilis, lamasi, actual quins . . .

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
if you find out its a borja, then itll be a variabilis :( (i got screwed in the change since i work with UE borja's hahaha)
How does them being variabilis now instead of amazonica or ventrimaculata mean you're screwed? The frogs aren't any different, no less interesting, no less pretty. Us having a better understanding of their phylogeny should make them more appealing if anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the name of my Vent is Dendrobates ventrimaculatus; sorry to say it family history was lost in the move so many years ago, that with their range being so large it would be too hard to track down and since they only have a name to go with the family tree, Sean Stewart just happens to be it,unfortunately.
With that said I want to that you all that have answered my post.
I do have some beautiful frogs though.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The site isn't more specific, as there is no known locale data for most of the older lines of vents. Back in the day, they were simply called 'French Guiana Vents' (or blue legged/gray legged vents). Most of the thumbnails that have been around in the hobby a long time were imported as 'quinquevittatus' - that includes imitators, vents, variabilis, lamasi, actual quins . . .
ahhh thats were those names came from, thanks Zach

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Well the name of my Vent is Dendrobates ventrimaculatus; sorry to say it family history was lost in the move so many years ago, that with their range being so large it would be too hard to track down and since they only have a name to go with the family tree, Sean Stewart just happens to be it,unfortunately.
With that said I want to that you all that have answered my post.
I do have some beautiful frogs though.
If it is Sean Stewart line ventrimaculata then they come from French Guyana. They were also reclassified a little while ago as Ranitomeya amazonica.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so where is this documentation that goes with this change. i spent 30 years with African Cichlids so I know that name changes always come with time I being an offical member of the Rocky mountain Cichlid Association I knew where the information was coming from and it was reputable and now I get voices coming from two different direction one tells me that this Vent is still a Dendrobates and it is the red vent that got the name change and now I got some one telling me its name is some thing else.
I am not say you are not some that knows, what I am saying I don't know you so something like a little more information about the name change like maybe where one would find this information.
I work with true blood lines meaning I dont breed brother and sister or any kind of same blod so when I joined this board it was to help my research, hoping that this group would help me minimize my research. who changes the names of these frogs, and where is this information kept. I want to be sure of the dart frog s I sell have the right name and not just change the name cause I read it hear on Dendroboards. I don't know anyone here and I am tring to fix it where this board is learning a little about me.
The main thing is keeping my frogs right and to make things clear I am not saying you are wrong. I just want to know thats all

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
The switch from Dendrobates to Ranitomeya for all thumbnail frogs is now the accepted terminology. No question about it. I still haven't gotten used to the species reclassification, but it is supported by DNA, call audio and other data that definitely holds up under scrutiny. It's only a matter of time before the changes become universally accepted by all suppliers and hobbyists.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Try looking here: Dendrobates.org - Home for more information. It is extremely up to date, and explains everything very well.

Sorry I did not provide more info before. Many people that aren't that up to date with the terminology and taxonomy of Dendrobatidae still go by most things being in the Dendrobates genus, but it was split up a few years ago and is widely accepted now. As for the newer changes, such as what was "ventrimaculata" now being split to variabilis and amazonica, as well as the old "duellmani" now being ventrimaculata, was only published a couple months ago and isn't as widely accepted. However, as Jason said it is backed by a lot of evidence and it is only a matter of time.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am New to Dendroboard so please bear with me I am still using Dendrobates for my vents have there been any name changes. I am not aware of any But my books are old and I just catch glimpses of frogs with different names but they resemble my Vents, Which by the way I am looking to do some trading I have ohhhhhh about 12 froglets, 10 with back legs, and bunch more tadpoles not including the eggs that I have been harvesting.
But back on topic I would like to be underthe right toic with my frog s so playing catch up is my game right now.
I have been keeping Luecs problely bought 10 years but I never harvested any eggs from them and they did real good on there own. I started out with3 females and 2 males in a forty gallon and it did look sweet,ended up with 14 frogs and froglets after a couple years, of course I had to thin them out but i did have a good run with my Leucs, now I have more tanks and I want more Dart frogs
It's Ranitomeya amazonica or variabilis, not Dendrobates ventrimaculatus.
The genus Dendrobates now contains only auratus, leucomelas, tinctorius, and truncatus. Ranitomeya took 33 species, Oophaga took 9 species and i believe two went to Phyllobates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To thedude many many thanks!!
This is information that directs a person in a direction one needs. Now when I have hYsomeone ask me "how do know" I have information to give to back me up.
I have no idea when this accurd, I've been messing around with just 2different kinds so I would learn about them.
Only needed the information about them the rest of my info came from the frogs themse and now I have more information to work with so thank you, again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts