Dendroboard banner

The moments that make you happy in the hobby?

4K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  boabab95 
#1 ·
Pretty self explanatory, what's your moments?

One of mine was just had sitting in the living room listening to my pumilio sing while having a beer after a really bad day, then to top it off, getting out of the shower and laying in quite to listen to my galac buzz to me! It's those fine moments where all the work and thought and stress have made it worth every bit of it!

Anyone else have some? I see quite often the post of the vicarious parent posting up pics of new eggs, tad poles, and the awed froglet. Share them all!

#2 ·
My best one so far was hearing my male leuc call for the first time. I was sitting at my computer stressing out about finishing a presentation for class when I first heard it. It was so quiet at first that I didn't immediately realize what it was. After looking out of my window for katydids and realizing the noise was coming from inside my room I saw him happily chirping away. Not only did it serve as a great study-break, it also put me in an awesome mood and I was happy to continue working on my project with a live dendro-solo concert in the background.

#7 ·
When I woke up one morning pised because I had school and waking up early sucks, I walked down stairs turned the lights on and saw 2 white eggs. The male looked at me for 5 minutes before I remembered I had school. It was quite breathe taking.
I also sore the male transport and female feed the tads! I have to say what an amazing sight!

#8 ·
Finding eggs, especially from species that don't breed as frequently, seeing a tadpole transport, finding an unknown froglet (especially pumilio!), and getting a new type of frog, whether in the mail or at a show, it is always really exciting (like today when my anthonyi should arrive!)
Bryan

#12 ·
My best moment was when my first Tinc tad emerged as a froglet. It had been about a week since I had seen him and I thought he had perished. I had a group of 4 in a rock strewn 10 gal communal. One night, I went in to check the progress of the others and he was out on a rock! That was the best. Also was my first dart frog period.

My mom had given me 6 tads to raise as a first species. 2 I gave to a friend, 3 metamorphed successfully, and 1 metamorphed with SLS.

JBear

#13 ·
Calling is a huge one for me. Best one was when the first shipment of benedicta rolled in and everyone was stoked on them and commenting at how shy they were. Then, three hours after I'd released them into their viv I got calling. Unexpected. Awesome. And I have yet to find another frog related moment that rivals that one.

More recently my C. Valley fants started calling (just this morning) in their 12" cube QT viv.

#14 ·
I would say that the things that make me happiest are breeding a pair, then raising the tads through to adulthood and making proven pairs from my own progeny ( just today I found a clutch from a pair of French Guyana Dawrf Cobalts that I had bred and raised from tads over 14 months ago). I think it's the full proof that my frogs are happy and behaving as they would in the wild.

My other "happy" thing for sure is introducing new people to the hobby.

Richard.

#20 ·
Oh, I've got another! Max and I shipped some Vanzos out to New York. They never arrived. On day 10 I got a phone message from Woodsman. They had finally arrived...ALIVE after 10 days lost in shipping! It's a good thing it was a message or I would have deafened Richard! I shouted out loud! Poor Max was sitting beside me and thought I was seriously freaking out. He had his hands over his ears as I laughed and yelled.
That was a good frog moment.

#22 ·
Hi Doug,

Just to add a little update to the story, at least two of the Vanzolinis turned out to be males and have been calling like mad. I have noticed a lot of the "male showing the female where to add some infertile eggs" in the bromeliads, and today I saw two egg clutches!

So it looks as though the long journey didn't affect the frog's reporductive organs!

Thanks again for a great frog, Richard.

Reactions: Pumilo
#23 · (Edited)
Each day the frogroom door opens.

Intently listening for new sounds.

My first was witnessing the laying of eggs followed by immediate males covering them repeatedly. This happened on the back side of a 55g tank with multiple breeding pairs of imitators. It was a late night and very much after lights out and I was just looking for tadpoles and saw this trio dancing it up.

My second was the video I shared with the Alanis tincs.

#25 ·
I think my happiest moment was seeing my male Azureus transporting a tad, after waiting patiently for more than a year for them to get everything right. :D

2nd would be hearing one of my Vittatus call for the 1st time.

#40 ·
I have a new one... yesterday morning I looked into my Azureus tank and saw a tiny blue dot... my 1st tad, which was living in the pond, was sitting on a stone as a fully formed frog. I had not seen him/her in several days and was getting worried, so I stood there for a couple of minutes in disbelief... that this complete transformation had happen within a week. I was absolutely amazed! :eek: I think it's going to be hard to top that one. :)

#27 ·
Id say my happiest moments are setting up new hobbyists with their first frogs. I usually do my part to be sure they are prepared and I set them up with a nice deal as well.

Other than that it would be the first time I successfully morphed and raised reticulata back in late 2003.

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.