Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a small pond in my 18x18 viv for my whites tree frogs. I used GS which didn't cure and left a horrible mess. I was able to clean most of it up but some of it turned into an extremely hard plastic like substance which I just left in the bottom and foamed over. I then applied 5 coats of drylok and performed a leak test. Sure enough the pond leaked from at least three spots so I decided to silicone up to the water level. After applying a large amount of silicone and letting it cure it was on to another leak test. Sure enough more leaks. Now several days later and an entire can of silicone I will be testing again tonight and if that pond leaks I may just have a mental breakdown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,415 Posts
Ponds will always find a way to leak. Even just the condensation in your viv will make water go where you don't want it. Most of those who use a pond feature do not make it as a sealed compartment, but rather free flowing and connected to the false bottom. You may wish to do some more research on how to correctly incorporate a water feature in your viv.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the usual method is to have the water in the false bottom. However, for this tank since it is already only 18 inches high I wanted to maximize vertical space. To do that I decided to restrict the water to just the pond area so that I do not need as high a false bottom in the other portion of the tank. I would be fine if the pond leaked but at a very slow rate but currently its a torrent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,377 Posts
You now know why most frogger keeprs with two or more vivs don't have water features...the first one has a water feature, it leaks, and become a p.i.t.a. and they never build another one again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They sure are a P.I.T.A but they sure do look awesome. My first tank has a waterfall that worked perfectly. The root of the problem is that I didn't completely start over when I had the GS that didn't cure, so my fault.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,716 Posts
I know the usual method is to have the water in the false bottom. However, for this tank since it is already only 18 inches high I wanted to maximize vertical space. To do that I decided to restrict the water to just the pond area so that I do not need as high a false bottom in the other portion of the tank. I would be fine if the pond leaked but at a very slow rate but currently its a torrent.
My brother (a clever and stubborn individual) built and battled his first vivarium for a year with this approach and I can tell you that big leak, small leak, no leak, water finds a way to find a common level through the base of a vivarium eventually. It just doesn't work.

One way I've found to maximize vertical usable "pondage" is to build my water feature (pond) into one of the front corners of the tank. Build a dam out of GS spanning across the corner with 1/4" drip irrigation tubing connecting your pond to the false bottom. That way your pond depth and water volume is maximized while pond footprint is minimized.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
You now know why most frogger keeprs with two or more vivs don't have water features...the first one has a water feature, it leaks, and become a p.i.t.a. and they never build another one again.
Hahahaha seems like me! Although I guess I technically have three, two in one tank 1 in my second.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top