Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little upset today. I had a pair of week-old developing eggs in my Vent tank, along with a recently laid clutch of 6 in another axil, and both of the older eggs and 4 of the newer ones went bad suddenly. I haven't really had this big of a mold problem yet, and I'm wondering what could have brought it on. The only thing that's different is that I've been keeping a small piece of over-ripe banana on the floor of the tank to keep the flies localized. Could this have caused it? Where can I get some Methylene blue to help the eggs that I pull?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Dane,

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes this just happens. Don't get discouraged. This could just be first clutch syndrom. Clutches usually become more fertile and durrable as the frogs age.

Brad

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
You can also use wild/indian almound leaves or oak leaves to create a tadpole tea water that will help keep down fungus and bacteria, works just as well as Meth Blue for me, and cheaper (one almond leaf makes 15-20 gallons or a really nice concentrate). Some tads also love chomping on the leaf skeletons that are left after you make the tea.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My advice would be to read the thread on reasons eggs go bad. It is a page or so back. It discusses many possible reasons. Best of luck -

Jon Werner

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Start with Jon's suggestion, then if you still want to find Methylene Blue (which I use and love) I have some Washington State info which you could order from. I personaly found it difficult to find becuase many of the fish specialty stores no longer stocks it:

Renton
(206)226-3215

Loehmann's Plaza
(206)641-9240

Kent
(206)852-9240

Issaquah
(206)392-5360

The one I have comes in a 1/2 oz size and is diluted to 2 drops per gallon. This $5 bottle will last me several years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts