Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok this is the viv i was given and would like to add 2 thumbnail frogs too. I was told it is all set to go just add frogs what do you think? it is a 10 gal with a vertical kit.

sorry about that

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wont comment on the viv specifically - as there is not enough info to really say anything (but what I do see looks good), rather I will ask a series of questions (the same ones I am asking myself as I get ready for frogs). Keep in mind I do not know your history with keeping frogs or anything else for that matter. I just feel that I needed to answer all of these before I purchase the frogs (in no particular order).

1. Do you have microfauna being cultured? If not - get that going first - see this thread: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/66991-how-culture-isopods-woodlice-springtails.html
  2. Are the microfauna established in the viv? If not - you need to get them in there.
  3. Do you have your fruit flies going and are you successful at it? If not - get those going ASAP (lots of threads on this). Do you have a backup plan if the cultures crash?
  4. Do you have stable temps? (record and plot the ranges - including different locations in the viv) This relates to species of frog and plants.
  5. Do you have stable humidity? (record and plot the ranges) This relates to species of frog and plants.
  6. Is your lighting sufficient? and Are you going to supplement with UVB?
  7. Do you have a misting schedule?
  8. Do you have a place to drain the viv to?
  9. Do you have a way of generating clean water (ro/di or distilled)?
  10. What will you do if you lose power?
  11. What species will do best in a viv with that layout? What species will do best given your husbandry experience? See this thread: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beginner-discussion/9897-good-beginner-thumbnail.html
  12. Do you have your supplements? Are they expired?
  13. Do you have a way to dust your flies that will prevent escapees at the same time?
  14. Do you have a quarantine setup?
  15. Where will you get fecals done?
  16. Are all the little holes and places that frogs can get stuck secured?
  17. Is the viv FF proof?
  18. Are you familiar with all species of plants in the viv and their proper care?

Those are off the top of my head - but I think I covered all the ones I asked myself. If anyone can think of other important ones please add them!

- ryan

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wont comment on the viv specifically - as there is not enough info to really say anything (but what I do see looks good), rather I will ask a series of questions (the same ones I am asking myself as I get ready for frogs). Keep in mind I do not know your history with keeping frogs or anything else for that matter. I just feel that I needed to answer all of these before I purchase the frogs (in no particular order).

1. Do you have microfauna being cultured? If not - get that going first - see this thread: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/66991-how-culture-isopods-woodlice-springtails.html yes
  2. Are the microfauna established in the viv? If not - you need to get them in there.
  3. Do you have your fruit flies going and are you successful at it? If not - get those going ASAP (lots of threads on this). Do you have a backup plan if the cultures crash? working on this as we speak
  4. Do you have stable temps? (record and plot the ranges - including different locations in the viv) This relates to species of frog and plants. yes
  5. Do you have stable humidity? (record and plot the ranges) This relates to species of frog and plants. yes
  6. Is your lighting sufficient? and Are you going to supplement with UVB? yes
  7. Do you have a misting schedule? yes
  8. Do you have a place to drain the viv to? yes
  9. Do you have a way of generating clean water (ro/di or distilled)? yes
  10. What will you do if you lose power? gen
  11. What species will do best in a viv with that layout? What species will do best given your husbandry experience? See this thread: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beginner-discussion/9897-good-beginner-thumbnail.html resurching
  12. Do you have your supplements? Are they expired? not yet
  13. Do you have a way to dust your flies that will prevent escapees at the same time? no
  14. Do you have a quarantine setup? yes
  15. Where will you get fecals done? dr wolf
  16. Are all the little holes and places that frogs can get stuck secured? yes
  17. Is the viv FF proof? yes
  18. Are you familiar with all species of plants in the viv and their proper care?
yes

Those are off the top of my head - but I think I covered all the ones I asked myself. If anyone can think of other important ones please add them!

- ryan
this is why i have not gotten frogs yet

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I think the tank looks good. I'd get rid of the Spanish Moss though, as I've heard horror stories about frogs getting tangled up in it. No personal experience with it, though.

If it had frogs in it before, it could have pathogens from those frogs. That's something to consider before you put your own frogs in there. It doesn't mean that it will necessarily sicken your frogs, but, there is that potential. (IMO)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts