Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decide to start over from this build here:http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/286033-back-hobby-15-gallon-column-build.html

This was not turning out the way I imagined. I decided that tomorrow I am running out to Petco get a 40 gallon breeder. I plan on building a fake stump with roots growing over rock with a small creek feel. If I can do this correctly.

To get an idea, I want something like this

Let's get into it

Dimensions: 36 x 18 x 17

Lighting: Satellite LED Plus

Misting: Mistking

Substrate: ABG mix

Backround: don't know what would look with this. Any suggestions?

For the Tree trunk/roots/rocks: Styrofoam, maybe GS spray

Hope you all enjoy!

·
Registered
767 Posts
That light should work really great for that size tank. I have one for my 36x18x36.

If it were my build, I would carve up all the roots and rocks out of foam (rigid or spray), and maybe do a real easy tree fern fiber panel background in all the negative space/glass behind.

Reason being, you could plant mosses and epiphytes up the fern fiber panel to create a green backdrop. If your intention is to have the focal point be the roots/rocks, then you wouldn't want a real busy background. Looking at the picture, the background behind the tree is just more trees/greenery. You could mimic that by just doing a more simplistic background that wouldn't pull your eye from the main foreground features.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That light should work really great for that size tank. I have one for my 36x18x36.

If it were my build, I would carve up all the roots and rocks out of foam (rigid or spray), and maybe do a real easy tree fern fiber panel background in all the negative space/glass behind.

Reason being, you could plant mosses and epiphytes up the fern fiber panel to create a green backdrop. If your intention is to have the focal point be the roots/rocks, then you wouldn't want a real busy background. Looking at the picture, the background behind the tree is just more trees/greenery. You could mimic that by just doing a more simplistic background that wouldn't pull your eye from the main foreground features.

Just my $0.02
I like your idea on the background. I didn't want something to busy to take away from the tree. should I try to carve the roots out of GS foam or styrofoam. Thank you for your suggestion, it helps!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I like your idea on the background. I didn't want something to busy to take away from the tree. should I try to carve the roots out of GS foam or styrofoam. Thank you for your suggestion, it helps!
So far, I've only used GS to carve up some "rocks" in my current build. The only problem (at least that I noticed) was that you have to spray the foam in first, let it dry and then carve. Obviously. BUT, once it's in, it's in. It might be tough to reach certain spots when trying to carve, cover and paint (or whatever you decide to do).

I've seen lots of people use rigid Styrofoam and build their piece outside the tank, then affix it in once it's relatively finished. I think in your situation, I would personally do that route. That way you'd have much more freedom in working on your piece(s). This way would mean that you'd have to plan out pretty well how the pieces will fit inside the tank and how you'll affix them.

I don't think either way is wrong and they both have some pros and cons. Just a matter of how you want to tackle it. Hopefully some others with more experience in doing one or both these methods can chime in.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far, I've only used GS to carve up some "rocks" in my current build. The only problem (at least that I noticed) was that you have to spray the foam in first, let it dry and then carve. Obviously. BUT, once it's in, it's in. It might be tough to reach certain spots when trying to carve, cover and paint (or whatever you decide to do).

I've seen lots of people use rigid Styrofoam and build their piece outside the tank, then affix it in once it's relatively finished. I think in your situation, I would personally do that route. That way you'd have much more freedom in working on your piece(s). This way would mean that you'd have to plan out pretty well how the pieces will fit inside the tank and how you'll affix them.

I don't think either way is wrong and they both have some pros and cons. Just a matter of how you want to tackle it. Hopefully some others with more experience in doing one or both these methods can chime in.

I could see the pro and cons you are trying to say. I think I may tackle down the styrofoam route. Like you said I think I will have more freedom. Thank you once again for the input.

Do you know anything about spyra? I order it for my last tank and was thinking about using that for my backround. I think it would work well in my tank for the background

·
Registered
767 Posts
I don't really know much about spyra or the like, except that people seem to like it. That is another good idea for the background. I had mentioned the tree fern fiber panel as it would look more natural (especially the bare spots), and closer to a "wooded/forrest" background. But, I know that spyra and hygrolon and those grow plants really well too, so... Looks like that's a matter of personal preference and taste!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't really know much about spyra or the like, except that people seem to like it. That is another good idea for the background. I had mentioned the tree fern fiber panel as it would look more natural (especially the bare spots), and closer to a "wooded/forrest" background. But, I know that spyra and hygrolon and those grow plants really well too, so... Looks like that's a matter of personal preference and taste!

The reason I mention Spyra is because I purchased it for my last tank. since I am no longer building the tank. I don't know what to do with the Spyra I bought. Does the tree fern fiber panels able t grow moss on it?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
If you have a Petco near you...it may be worth waiting a couple of days--they have $1/gal. sale--at least near me----for three days--July 8 through July 10...I LOVE the picture you showed...will be following...and attempt to imitate!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have a Petco near you...it may be worth waiting a couple of days--they have $1/gal. sale--at least near me----for three days--July 8 through July 10...I LOVE the picture you showed...will be following...and attempt to imitate!!
I was going to wait but I found out that Petco by me had the 1$ gallon sale. So I had to buy the tank haha.. thanks:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
It might be practical to use egg crate as a skeleton for your buttress roots, spraying great stuff over that, and then carving and sanding into the final shape. That could be done outside the tank much like using rigid styrofoam (which may, according to some threads here, present the risk of leaching chemicals).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After a night of work, this is what I have so far. by NO means is it close to being done. Tomorrow I am going to sand some more, paint with drylok and use GS to create the roots. I still have to silicone all the rocks into place.

I am liking the way this is turning out.

Attachments

• 80.4 KB Views: 75
  • 58.6 KB Views: 75
  • 57.9 KB Views: 74
  • Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    59.5 KB Views: 71
  • 53.1 KB Views: 71

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Work on the roots and painted the first coat.

I plan on going to my local glass shop to get a top. any suggestions on what hinge I should use?

Also doing my research on what fan to buy and how to install it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finished painting, put down the gravel and the substrate. The Background should be in by tomorrow. I plan on using Spyra for the background. I do have a question regarding the fan. Does anyone know where I can get the power source?

and a little sneak peak of my end of the summer plans :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts