Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I do not post on here with any regularity so I will introduce myself. My name is Ryan and I am a senior at Oviedo High School near Orlando, FL. I had a collection of frogs which died off due to some disease or parasites. Anyway, I am posting this message because I am required to do a senior project in order to graduate and the topic I have chosen is the conservation of Dendrobatid frogs. My requirements for this project is a 2000+ word research paper, a 15+ minute oral presentation, and a visual (for which I am doing a powerpoint presentation). In order to receive full credit for this assignment (which is due in May) I must have mentors to consult and get information/ opinions on my project topic. So now my questions. How do you feel about the Conservation of Dendrobatid frogs? What countries are most at risk of losing their PDF populations? What factors are the most degrading to their native populations? Are there any PDF conservation websites, besides INIBICO(sp??)? And finally can you give me any other information/project ideas that you may have on this issue? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Ryan Mouser

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
By far the most threatening activity to most PDF's and many other flora and fauna is deforestation. Although there are plenty of laws in place to "protect" PDF's (and other flora and fauna) from collectors (CITES being one), there are not many things in place to protect their habitats from destruction. In a nutshell most countries that are home to PDF's are considered poor by our standards and the majority of the population has to make its living "off of the land". This usually means cutting down rainforest for crops and/or livestock. This is a very simplified view of one problem but hopefully it will give you some ideas on where to get started.

·
Registered
720 Posts
This is off topic but my grandfather used to be principal of Oveido High School, what a small world. I lived there with my grandparents for a little while when I was alot younger.

As far as research goes this is good place to come and ask questions. I am in college and have a similar project for my Ecology class where I have to do a short presentation on reproductive habits of dart frogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts