Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The product of about 1.5 years worth of building vivs. I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out, however I wish I would have built the stand for the 115 a little differently so I had 2 larger vivs, instead of 3 smaller. Oh well, you know what they say about hindsight. Originally, this is not how I imagined these 2 walls would end up, but I am very pleased with the end result....

A. pepperi 'Abiseo' - approx. 60 gallons

Mantella nigricans - approx. 30 gallons

O. pumilio 'Escudo de Varaguez' - approx 30 gallons

R. ventrimaculata ' Borja Ridge' - approx. 25 gallons

R. fantastica 'Todd Kelly' - approx. 25 gallons

R. flavovittatus 'Understory' - - approx. 25 gallons

Let me know what you think! The only thing left to do is let them grow in and add frogs, most of which are still growing up!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am in absolute shock!:eek: These tanks are amazing!!!! Sir you have officially Blown a young mans mind and inspired him for his hexagon build! I congratulate you for a job well done and hope to see more!

Thank you for sharing!:)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Amazing.... excellent work man.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Inspiring....clean, crisp, well planted and excellent choice of plants and arraingement. If you built your vivs yourself, more power to you. I've tried cutting glass, and I dont know what I do wrong, but I cant get a straight line to save my life. Now, drilling mister bulheads, I can do that now. Anyhow, your frogroom looks great! Nice work.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks fantastic! Where did the cork panels and vents come from? Are the verts held closed by magnets?
The cork panels are from marylandcork.com. I get a carton of 24 panels measuring 12"x36". They have really changed the way I do my vivs. No more greatstuff covered with several tubes of silicone and coco dust. Plus, the plants really love these panels. I maybe used 1 tube of silicone if that on the bottom 6 vivs.

All verts have high powered magnets holding the doors closed, so you are correct Jeremy

The vents are my own little idea. Check this thread out: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/79187-inexpensive-way-do-vents-glass.html

As far as the tanks go, all 6 bottom vivs are custom built by myself. The 65 with the BJ's is the only prefab tank that hasn't been retrofit in any way. The 40 verts are just breeders put on end with the frame removed. The 115 is an old tank that was in poor shape, so i cut the front piece off, cut that in half for the top and front, and did the sliders. You can check out the threads on these tanks here:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/79653-65-gallon-blue-jeans.html
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/78286-40-breeder-verts.html
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/61126-so-begins-125gallon-saga.html

Thanks for all of the comments, I really appreciate them ! It is always a relief when big projects come to an end. Now I get to start on a new rack of customs with a built in incubator and plant propagation chamber!

Ed Parker

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
These look great! Nice plants in there too. For the panels, you just drill or poke a hole for the plants to go in? how is it that they stay attached?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These look great! Nice plants in there too. For the panels, you just drill or poke a hole for the plants to go in? how is it that they stay attached?
I usually just use wire to secure the plants to the cork panel. For bromeliads I will create a hole usually with a drill for the stolon to go in to. The plants actually root to it very well. It is like looser,airy'er cork bark. Orchids and all epiphytes so far have loved it. I have been using it to grow things like begonia's as well instead of using pots....

·
Registered
108 Posts
1.5 years well spent! I'm going to look into the cork as that seems more natural and WAY more beneficial to the plants. Truly inspiring stuff! Keep up the good work. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Greetings
Mantellaprince20, is this room still going strong?

Gastrotheca
------------------------
Crested Gecko 0.2.0

·
Registered
116 Posts
That is very unfortunate, he was a great hobbyist. Ed was the first one that I knew that used the cork panel background method which has become much more popular recently. Sad to see some of the greats go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts