Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
I'm not new to tanks (mult. fresh and reef tanks), but I am new to the idea of vivariums, paludariums, terrariums, etc... I've been on a few other forums, no one really seems interested in the build and have gotten very little to no feedback. So here I am! (Besides ya'll are on tapatalk and THATS what's up).

So anyways, stumbled across the idea online and had to have one. Just so happens I had an extra tank laying around the house and went for it. Have a bunch of pictures of the build so far and I'm kinda stuck on the next move. So here we have it....

Just to get a feel for it...

Now all the questions really start to arise.

Canister vs In-tank filter vs sump and overflow for waterfall? Really unsure of headroom, sumps, etc for this small amount of water. Just want the water to be clear and clean.

What about this fog? Think it's possible to plumb fog like this?

I also have plans for a misting system and air circulation but haven't gotten there just yet. I also decided to go with the great stuff background (once I have all my plumbing in place) and foam over it. Silicone then substrate etc etc. The narrow water section will also be sloped for a shallow area/ easy exit for the dart frogs if they happen to fall in.
I'm trying to think of more questions but I'll post back with them and more pictures as I have siliconed the walls in and blacked out the tank!

Thanks for looking and ANY input!

Scott

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So help me out here guys! 3/4" flex tube should do the trick for fog plumbing?:confused:

Sump w/ overflow vs in-tank filter? :confused:

·
Registered
552 Posts
I haven't really done any vivs with water filtration, but anytime I've had water flowing through a tank of any sort that housed animals, I always liked the sump system. It made maintenance so much easier I felt.

For fog tubing, I wanted to try the corrugated plastic tubing that's sold for sump pump drain tubing or something like that. It was quite cheap for a package of it, the corrugations will help prevent it from kinking, and the larger diameter will help keep the fog flowing.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so found an in-tank filter small enough to fit right where I want it. What should the waterfall be made out of? I'm thinking great stuff is no good unless it's sealed with something? Styrofoam? :confused:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I searched and searched for the perfect waterfall piece. I looked at local stores a bunch! I was looking at driftwood and rocks. I ended up with a nice rock. The damn thing cost me $50 but it was worth it. My waterfall has been running off of the rock for going on 6 years. Check it out here No filter, just water pumps. I have access but have not needed to access the pumps since the build in Dec/2005.

·
Registered
436 Posts
are you planning on putting frogs in here? are you going to have any land room for them?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frogs, yes but not many. Maybe two. waterfall will fall between the two patches of land and shallow out in that mid section for the frogs then drop off into the water section that will be lightly planted with a few small neons or something. I have the pump where I want it. My only question now is can I make the water fall out of great stuff. I assume the GS would have to be sealed with something to prevent erosion or the fall needs to be made out of something else like Styrofoam.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh and frank the tank looks great! I like the rock fall idea. I have some lava rock laying around here somewhere that just might work...hmmmm

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thats gonna be awesome especially with the fog and waterfall!! To make the waterfall you probably could make a frame out of wood and get a t shirt or some kind of cotton fabric and stretch it over and paint on fiberglass resin havent used it in a viv yet but have on many other things such as custom livewells. Its waterproof can be made to look like anything and sanded and painted, Its lightwheight and can be made to fit anywhere. Just look at how custom dashes in cars and subwoofer boxes are made same idea!

·
Registered
436 Posts
for the water fall, what I would do is actually cover the entire pump in saran wrap and just make a big ass mound of great stuff around it and when it's hard, peel it off of the pump and start carving away. there was a video on here MONTHS ago about how to make a rock waterfall and pond combination out of sheets of white packing foam. check youtube, they might have it. That's another option, since the guy had the same filter/pump thing going on that you have.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yea that would work also even if you did the GS then carved to your liking and then covered it in fiberglass resin it will be hard as a rock wont decay with constant water flow and can be submerged. It dries very quickly also and the weight would be next to nothing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ight guys gals here we have it so far. The GS went on today. Had enough time to trim the edges so I could at least get it in the tank and have a look. I'm liking the general fit. The walls themselves still need a lot of work and trimming. The bottom pots will have to go. there's just not enough room for the frogs. Or maybe I could leave them and pass on the darts and go for something that doesn't require so much floor space like tree frogs or something? I dunno... If I stick with the darts then the walls will all be shaved back and where it meets land ill shave back and round off or something. The waterfall also needs a lot of work trim wise. I decided to go with the GS waterfall which will be painted like rocks and sealed with an acrylic sealant or fiberglass resin. Let me know what you think so far! :D

Oh and the return hose for the waterfall will eventually be trimmed way back so that the water returns straight up and bubbles over the edge. Just didn't want to soak the foam yet.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The foam IS waterproof ;) so no need to seal, it would jsut make it an ugly shiny glossy cover if you cover it. Just do silicone and peat moss on it, I could see the mosses in my eyes now :D So from my understanding, the waterfall will be just a trickle, not that violent thing shown in the picture? I think a trickle is achieved by setting the pump to a very low setting and covering the outlet a little bit to flow downwards, correct me if i'm wrong....

Looks good, but keep an eye on the foam, i've had bad luck with the red can (looks like that's what you're using.)

·
Registered
436 Posts
i like it; i would just make the water area a hell of a lot smaller and make the land areas bigger for frogs. however, this thing looks REALLY tall, and i think tree frogs might be a good idea.

also, with the water fall, just make sure it isn't splashing a lot and making the substrate soaked. i went to the american museum of natural history in NYC last weekend and I saw their setup for poison dart frogs and it was just a drip wall - very low flow of water just gently running down the side of the fake tree.

Reactions: Neontra

·
Registered
74 Posts
Its looking awesome! I really like what you have going on with the waterfall. I was saying earlier with the fiberglass resin is if you wanted to paint it to look differant then the whole background like a rockface or something because if you carve it any its very porous and will not flow the water like you want it too. Also yea i havent had much luck with the yellow can GS either it seems to like to expand alot but then it will start to shrink in the back off the glass but only on the corners. So i started to use the blue can GS.

PS: like the caps off of the GS as planters ive used them before but drilled holes in the bottom for draining.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kinda tough to change the water area now lol. So I was thinking originally having my girl paint the waterfall rock colored and all but you think it would still look good if I siliconed it then put the same substrate that's going on the back wall on the waterfall? would the substrate hold? then some moss? I wanted the waterfall more defined. hmmm I need some turbulence in the water to help with the fish's aeration.

as for the worries with the red can GS it all looks pretty locked into the eggcrate. I guess well see. any other problems other than shrinking off the glass?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts