Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I was studying species prior to obtaining my first PDFs, I became smitten with Bakhuis Mountains. I stayed away from them as a first species because I just couldn't find out much about them. In spite of a number of our members keeping them, they just don't appear to come up in conversation much. It is strange to me that there are a number of bold, beautiful species that just never seem to become popular or topics of conversation. This just happens to be one of them, I guess.

I was given the opportunity to obtain a fantastic breeding pair. Unfortunately, they had to remain with the O.O while I finished building tanks.

I was able to finally pick them up on Sunday. We couldn't pull them immediately as dad was busy fertilizing eggs. Was it tacky of me to ask the owner if they really were a proven pair? :D

Ecstatic to bring these guys home. Beautiful frogs. If you ever get a chance to see this species in person, check them out.

Sorry about the crappy pics. I didnt want to stress them by sticking the camera in their face for 20 minutes trying to get better pics.

Here's the male leaving a fertilized clutch with the previous keeper prior to coming home with me. Eggs are directly underneath him. This was just too cool to see!

Here's the male again. Apparently he was feeling froggy after his earlier contribution. He immeditely climbed to the highest point in the tank to survey his new home.

Here's mom working the low road for stray springs and ff.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I am not a big fan of Tincs in general, but I am growing fond of the Bakhuis. I think there are a couple folks in my area that breed them.
Yours are very nice!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Woohoo ! The happy little couple has been busy. After being sick with the flu for a week, it was a pleasure to find these this morning.

I suspect that they are comfortable in their new home.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, I am all hopped up. This is my second set of PDF's throwing clutches.

So indebted to everyone here at DB. When I started, I was just hoping to successfully keep PDF's. Thanks to everyone's assistance here in helping me at garner some basic frog keeping skills, I now have tads stacking up.

As we say here in E Tennesee, Y'all rock !

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Grats!!

I agree, Bakhuis are neat frogs. I morphed one out from a tad, a few months back (really he morphed himself. All I did was throw food at him once in a while. :p ) and was amazed at how beautiful he was. Unfortunately, he wasn't mine :(

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whats the UE stand for? What size viv do you have the d. auratus in?
The UE stands for Understory Enterprises. They typically ship to the US in groups. They do captive bred as well as WC so it's always wise to ask.

The designation you see in my sig just means that I am getting captive bred R Imi 'Chazutas' from the Understory shipment currently scheduled to ship Nov 8th.

The Auratus group, fondly known as my froggy biker gang, are housed in a 50gal (approx 36 x 18 x18). Looks like 2 different females but won't really know for a while.

Here's a pic:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem. I don't get all bent on side road conversations.

I'm not the best guy to ask. I got the Leucs cheap because the owner was in a serious bind. He cut me a deal as he didnt have to ship. The Bakhuis were a gift. I obviously fell in to both situations.

To me, a confirmed breeding pair at 200.00 is a steal regardless of species. There are serious perils though.

If you're shopping, I wouldn't try to find cheap. When anyone sells an active breeding pair, you should be asking WHY ? I would rather pay more for a well documented breeding pair versus cheap and unknown. In addition, I would need a clear understanding of why the seller is letting them go.

Do you homework and pick someone with a stellar reputation, or at least someone that can be vouched for by someone you know.

I have no plans to get rid of the piars I have. Still, I document everything. If the frogs ever need to go to a new home, I'll be able to provide a notebook with very specific notes of clutches, dates in and out of the water, hatching, transports, etc. It doesn't take long to write this stuff down. I have a very small collection so I have the time.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did'nt you just do this VIV?
The 50? Yes. The Auratus grew so fast that they needed a new home. I failed to anticipate how quickly they would need additional room, which is shame on me. There was no active or passive aggression but I did start to notice that certain frogs always got to the food first.

The 50 solved that problem as I feed in three different spots. Now all of them are out actively feeding with no one standing off to the side.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Auratus are pretty prolific. Has to be someone up in your neck of the woods that is breeding them.

Most morphs aren't expensive at all. If you need to get them shipped, PM me and I can put you in touch with a couple of folks that have great prices and practice stellar hubandry/maintenance.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Auratus are pretty prolific. Has to be someone up in your neck of the woods that is breeding them.

Most morphs aren't expensive at all. If you need to get them shipped, PM me and I can put you in touch with a couple of folks that have great prices and practice stellar hubandry/maintenance.
LOL. NYC is like a different currency in the US. The exotic store out here is costly, so I'm looking for breeders. However I know this is an expensive hobby. It is about supply and demand, with that being said if it wasnt for that pet store, I wouldnt even know that you can house Darts. I've dealt with herps in JHS (I'm 28) before the whole internet boom. In about a yr or so I've learned a lot. One of the biggest things I can say I learned is that frogs don't need a body of water in a tank. I didnt see a VIV until I went to that store, and one of the employees told me I couldnt have one of them in my house, I laugh at that now!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Theres some great breeders here in nyc. Some of the larger guys would be Notorious Tinctorus, Julio, and many others. All you have to do is post, asking for which frog you want. Someone will point you in a direction. As for Auratus, ive seen prices from 20$ to 65$ for froglets, depending on the morph. I have some super blue auratus and some green n black. Great frogs, and you can get a nice group or less then 100.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts