Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK since my oder topic wasnt getting much resonse anymore i decided to make a new one.

Plan number 2

equipment
20 tall
clay leca pellets(no eggcrate right?)
Substrate=coco bedding plus tree fern fiber
Background=what should i use and where should i get it i could get cork from black jungle or treefern what do u prfer treefern or cork whats better for plants?
DIY humidifier=i will go to a drugstore and pick up a cool mist ultra sonic humidifier and plum it to the tank
Light=96w powerquad what bulb should be used?
WHAT I MISS?

Livestock
Plants= pillow moss,java moss,some sphagnum,spanish moss,bromelaids,small orchids,and whatever else will amke it look sweet
PDF=ok i know its not exactly a beginner specoe but i am goign to get pumilios probably three i want 2females one male
WHAT I MISS?

Cultures

I want to start a springtail culture in the tank before i get frogs(i know tehy will all get eaten quickly
Soringtail culture=How many need to be set up to feed 3 pumilios and how i will research i am not that far in my book yet
FF culture= i should probably use the smalle specie of ff due to the pumilio size. Will they eat hydei
WHAT I MISS?

So thats my plan i would love help!

FROM Jimmy

·
Registered
200 Posts
I like the natural look of cork bark, that's what I would go with. You should probably put in a substrate divider between the clay pellets and the coco bedding so the two stay separate. Screen mesh (the kind used for screen doors and windows) can be used for this, and you can get it at Home Depot or Lowes. You're also going to need a way to drain the water out, whether a drilled hole or a siphon tube. I would also recommend starting off with a beginner species. There are a lot of nice tinc and auratus morphs to choose from. It would be a shame if you spent all the money on your trio of pumilio only to have them die because you didnt notice a symptom of illness or stress. But, in the end, it's your decision. Happy frogging!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are there any thumbnail species that do not demand eggs for tads and are a reasonable price?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think vents are a great introduction thumbnail as far as getting beginners getting acquainted with rearing tads. They are relatively bold, and seem to be THE most prolific species. Their small size can be a little intimidating, but their care is pretty basic. Both the frogs Greg mentioned would be great choices and you can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they dont demand eggs as tad food? i will do research

THANKS A BUNCH

Do u know where i could buy some in Davis,Sacramento,Bay area,san fransisco,or other nearby places in nor cal

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i ordered my supplies off of black jungle.
All the basic esentials
Two things i go which i thought would be good but wanted some other peoples expirience with them

I got tree fern fiber for the background
and a piece of gohst wood
Just wondering what people like or dislike about them if you have them.

I also orderd three plants a bromelaid,a fern, and a jewel orchid.
Whats the best tips on planting or mounting them?

What fertilizer do u use?

If i want a water feature is there a good link with step by step stuff?

Thanks

·
Registered
714 Posts
You don't need a fertilizer, the frogs poop and dead fruit flies will do the trick. I believe black jungle sells Dyna Grow which is safe for dart tanks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
booboo said:
What fertilizer do u use?

If i want a water feature is there a good link with step by step stuff?

Thanks
Water feature:
http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/arti ... rfall.html

Here is an overhead view of what I did. Not the best picutre, but I should be working right now instead of posting messages. So no time to take a better one :) :

Materials:
1. Reptile water dish from pet store
2. Moon stone and aquarium gravel for transition area
3. Some sort of quartz rock for fall
4. Screen mesh to fill in holes
5. Mini-Jet MN404 for pump
6. 1/4 inch hose
7. Hose clamp
8. Drill
9. Masonry drill bit

Process:
1. Put bowl on top of LECA
2. Filled transition area with gravel/coco mix
3. Moon stone around the fall
4. Lots of rock aranging
5. Drilled a hole through the flat rock (took like 30 minutes)
6. Put pump in bowl
7. Attached hose to pump and fed through hole in rock
8. Aranged rocks around pump
9. Filled gaps with gravel, stone, and screen mesh
10. Tested pH for several days (7.0 neutral)

I've got some java moss en route and may try riccia and some epiphytic fern around the tall rock. In general, setup seems to work well. I just spray it when I mist to keep the water level up. Since the feature is separate from the substrate the water stays clear. Where it looks like large gaps that the frogs could get trapped, it is filled with screen, gravel, and moon stone. I am going to take a dental mirror and look around one more time for problem crevices before the frogs go in and fill them with more screen, coco fiber, sphangum, or something similar.

Fertilizer: I got some of the liquid frog-safe fertilizer from Black Jungle. It is a good deal, and I use it for some of my other plants anyway. The plants seem to be doing great. Since the tank is new, there isn't much fertilization going on yet, but once it matures, I may cut back on the fertilizer.

Best,

Marcos

1 - 10 of 10 Posts