Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I managed to score a LOT! of free glass from craigslist.... I mean A LOT!!! All the sheets are 16"x16"x18". These dimensions are perfect for making cubes that fit 3 to a 48" space. It is still in the works, but here is what I've got so far. (I apologize for the bad pics. They are taken with my crappy phone camera)

Here is another cube I built from a spare window. Once I get the rack done, I will tear this down and toss it.

Passiflora murucuja. I love this plant

A good friend of mine sent me a package full of viv plants and a little surprise I was not expecting at all! In the box was an adult pair of Hyperolius Fusciventris burtoni as well as 8 CB babies. Was pretty excited about that one!!

Oh, and here was my pumpkin I carved for haloween

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Nice score! Love to see those scrap glass vivs!
Frogboy is pissed though. ;) You stole his "puking pumpkin" idea! He carved the very same idea this year!

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nice score! Love to see those scrap glass vivs!
Frogboy is pissed though. ;) You stole his "puking pumpkin" idea! He carved the very same idea this year!
So far, I've put probably about $50 into this project and they are turning out pretty nice! Each viv has its own little shelf on cabinet drawer tracks so I can pull each one out individually. I need to take some updated pics. I also need to get some nice ply to cover up the 2x4 frame. In due time.

The passiflora murucuja has not bloomed for me yet. it has JUST reached a mature size (I grew it from seed). I am hoping it will bloom for me though

Oh Doug, tell frog boy I carved that in september and I make one every year. That'll really get him goin ;) HAHAHA!!! Did he take pics of his puke pumpkin?? I wanna see it!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice tanks and you got the glass for free! You should post how you make them....What kind of doors are you using for your tanks?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Sorry, no pics of his "puke" pumpkin.

·
Registered
448 Posts
score on the craigslist find. the rack is turning out nice. great idea on giving each vive a pull out shelf. what are you planning to put in these bad boys?
ADAM

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
score on the craigslist find. the rack is turning out nice. great idea on giving each vive a pull out shelf. what are you planning to put in these bad boys?
ADAM
Well, as of now, I have the 3 top ones planted and frogged. The one to the left has 2 mancreek pums, the one in the middle has a lone male cauchero pum, and the one to the right has a breeding pair of Hyperolius Fusciventris burtoni. The middle 3 will get my proven intermedius, 3 pepperi, and group of anthonyi rio salidillo. the bottom row in thinking about doing 2 vivs at 2ft wide and putting my mantella madagascariensis and ebanoui in those. Not sure yet.

Ill try to get some updated pics and pics of the individual pull outs. The glass fronts are sliders. I have a single pane instead of two panes as I hate having a seam down the middle of my viewing area. I will be building some drawer fronts with handles to mount to the front of the pull outs so it looks more legit. I have had other priorities lately so this project has slowed down quite a bit unfortunately

Josh

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks Fantastic Josh! updated photos of the inhabitants and planted tanks would be amazing....
Hey!

Long time no talk! How are things? Last I talked to you, you wanted to focus specifically on pums if I recall. What ya keeping nowadays?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are some updated pics of the vivs and pics of the pull outs as requested.

This is the viv to the left. there are 2 mancreeks hiding out in there.

This is the middle one, belonging to the lone male cauchero. I have 3 posible females coming soon!

The is the one on the right. This one houses the pair of fusciventris burtoni

Here is an epidendrum magnoliae mexicana (spelling?) in bloom in this viv.

And the pullouts are just simple cabinet drawer pull outs that roll on a ball bearing track. they roll very smooth and work well. I'm happy with it. You can also see in the first pic the single pane of glass that slides out to the side.

The middle row is slowly coming along

Here is an updated picture of my two cubes I build out of scrap windows.

and this one has mantella madagascariensis in it

On another note, I went shopping at a place here called grocery outlet. I typically never pay attention to their plant selection as it is small and all very common stuff... well, as I was walking out, I just took a quick glance and something caught my eye. I did a double take and said to myself, is that what I thunk I saw??? Sure enough....... Ten dollars and ninety nine cents each!!!!

Nice near mature vriesea heiroglyphica!!!

They also had some very much mature specimen neos that had at least 6 to 8 pups for the same price. Just goes to show.... you never know where you will find GREAT plants!

Josh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts