Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here you will find a link to Ivan's Indiegogo program. This is our chance to directly donate to Ivan's project and help support this great cause.
Donate to Tesoros de Colombia
We are aiming to reach beyond just the frog keeping community, so please share this on your favorite social media sites. Let's involve as many people as we can.

Also attached is the long overdue video of Ivan speaking at the SACAS meeting this summer down in Costa Rica.
SACAS Video
The audio of this 36 minute video is of poor quality and is best viewed in a quiet room without distraction.

Sincerely,
Chris Sherman

·
Registered
915 Posts
Chris,

just need to actually say a heart felt thanks from the hobby all over the world for taking out time to make this indigogo project happen. you are an inspiration mate,a cracking bit of work.

Guys we are not all loaded,but little bits add up please help if you can :D

best

Stu

·
Registered
114 Posts
No offense, but that page needs serious work if it's going to try to draw from anyone other than people in the hobby who are loaded and want the fancy frogs. There are no pictures of the rewards, thus nobody without a vested interest will spend that much money to get them. You need to show a person who is just casually looking what their money gets them - that's just basic Kickstarter/Indiegogo stuff. The adopt a frog level is ridiculously high - that's a LOT of money for a picture and a canned history of a frog you'll never see. Most people want a tangible benefit for that sort of cash outlay. A limited number of high dollar pledges to get moved to the front of a wait list for specific frogs would have made sense. As is, there's not a ton of appeal outside the hobby, and not really much to the average hobbyist who has no interest in (ever) buying $200+ frogs. Just my two cents. I wish him well, but this seems like a missed opportunity.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your critique Ralph.
I will try to get some perk photos up there soon.
As for the get to the front of the list perk, we gave it some thought and figured it would create a lot of bickering and hurt feelings and that is not what we were looking to do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just trying to help, not being a jerk about it. These things work better when there's either a tangible benefit and/or a cool factor. You should also try to find something to put between the $100 and $750 pledges - that's way too big of a gap IMO.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am planning on making my $100 contribution in the next week or so . I currently am holding off getting into darts till after my cross country move but if I can help insure that some o the most coveted animals in the hobby will be legally available to me when I am ready a year or so from now it's well worth my contribution. On top if that if my contribution can help make a significant impact on the local environment in one of the most biologically diverse regions in the world all the more reason to contribute!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks Chris for the time and effort put into this project, it's greatly appreciated.
This is such an amazing opportunity for our community we have to support them as much as possible. If we want to keep this door to Columbia open everyone need to chip in.
I was more than happy to dontate, So C'mon guys and gals support our hobby!

_Dillon

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
No offense, but that page needs serious work if it's going to try to draw from anyone other than people in the hobby who are loaded and want the fancy frogs. There are no pictures of the rewards, thus nobody without a vested interest will spend that much money to get them. You need to show a person who is just casually looking what their money gets them - that's just basic Kickstarter/Indiegogo stuff. The adopt a frog level is ridiculously high - that's a LOT of money for a picture and a canned history of a frog you'll never see. Most people want a tangible benefit for that sort of cash outlay. A limited number of high dollar pledges to get moved to the front of a wait list for specific frogs would have made sense. As is, there's not a ton of appeal outside the hobby, and not really much to the average hobbyist who has no interest in (ever) buying $200+ frogs. Just my two cents. I wish him well, but this seems like a missed opportunity.
So you're offering to help Chris out and beef it up? That's awesome of you. Thanks! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Everyone give your money to gamble and he can get the presentation for frog day. If you don't give enough you just sent him to Columbia. lol

Honestly I think the top tier is actually the one that has the best chance of getting anything. I can imagine some organization, zoo, or school doing that one. All the others, probably not. And based on past complaints I doubt even he community will give that much.

I also agree with another poster that it would have been a good idea to include a donation tier for products like kick starter does. Pay X get a terribilis black foot etc... I don't know because I have never donated to a kick starter but I hear from people on the inside that all the shirts, mugs and signatures are important but to me it just seems like another cost subtracted from the bottom line in addition to the 10% or whatever indiegogo is going to skim off the top. So the point is if you are going to have 10% taken off the top it needs to have an ROI and that ROI needs to be exposure to a wider audience so playing to that wider audience is important even thought I don't really know how to do that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello Everybody

My name is Lincoln Erickson and I was at the Sustainable Amphibian Conservation of the Americas Symposium (SACAS) with Chris and Ivan and a bunch of other really cool people. I was the one who brought up the idea of crowdfunding and have been helping get this off the ground for Ivan.

I just want to point out some of our thought processes so it might be a little easier to understand why we did the campaign the way we did.

I would also like to point out that this is the first time any of us have tried this so the constructive criticism is great. I think if we can make this successful and then make the next one better and so on then croudfunding has a real chance to help a lot of these smaller organizations that are near and dear to our hearts.

First off, when you are donating to a campaign, you might have a couple of thoughts in your head.

1. "This swag is really cool, and I am helping out some cause."
or
2. "This cause is really cool, and I am getting some swag as well"

We chose to go with the number 2 route. We realize that the tiers are maybe a little bit expensive, but we hoped the strength of the cause would be a bigger driver than then rewards. This might have been the wrong course of action and we will see in 45 days when the campaign is over.

The secondary reason to chose ideal 2 is that it is less stuff for us to handle. As we are all new, we wanted to make sure what we did promise we could deliver on. We really don't want to be in a position where we over promise and then can't deliver. I am 100% confident that what we did promise as far as rewards we can deliver on.

We talked about promising frogs or getting first on a waiting list and we decided that it was just too risky. We didn't want to promise anything we couldn't deliver on Right Now.

Finally, we absolutely should have pictures of the items you will receive and we are going to work on getting that updated ASAP.

Please keep talking about this too your friends and sharing the Tesoros de Colombia Indiegogo link. Even if this isn't the cause you are really looking for, if this is successful for the dart frog community, it will open up other opportunities for causes you might be more interested in.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I kicked in. I'm claiming bragging rights. Time to step-up couch conservationists!

I'm not interested in the amount, but when you donate have it listed under your dendroboard screen name. Then come here and brag. I'll make space for you on this very comfortable soapbox, and believe you when you say you support frog conservation.

-Afemoralis

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Everyone give your money to gamble and he can get the presentation for frog day. If you don't give enough you just sent him to Columbia. lol
Not so sure about the Gamble thing ;-) but when I read about flying Ivan out for a presentation, I did wish we could have him at Frogday or Microcosm.
I am in regardless .. just a wish.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I kicked in. I'm claiming bragging rights. Time to step-up couch conservationists!

I'm not interested in the amount, but when you donate have it listed under your dendroboard screen name. Then come here and brag. I'll make space for you on this very comfortable soapbox, and believe you when you say you support frog conservation.

-Afemoralis
Afermoralis,what's you christian name please? I figure folks wanting to share your comfy soapbox,might want to be on first name terms,my dosh will come late,but it will come,the joys of being ill and monthly pay tis all

This is deserving of being on page one ,so hell, see what I did there:D.

Please help Ivan make this work for our hobby and the wild frogs we adore,little bits add up, times are hard for many I know,but ten bucks ain't so much

It's chimbo have a good un all

best

Stu

·
Registered
915 Posts
A complete, from the heart, plea:

This Colombian project is possibly the most exciting thing that could happen to our hobby for years,yet our hobby doesn't seem to want to support it. To Aff, I would really like to thank the few brits that I know have donated,Gordon Nick another Nick Adrian,those are the one's I know of,maybe there are others,they share your soap box.

If I can use a guilt trip on you guys, well sod it I'll try anything,I'll tell you one of that number has no work,struggling to put food on the table,but still felt an absolute need to support Ivan,he 's even thought about donating some gear for a raffle.

We have just 11 days left now. If I'm right about my figures just 33 kind folks have found it in their hearts,to support this.

Those 33,yes just 33(Chris please correct that figure if I'm wrong),come from ,a pool of countries across the globe. The brits know,you guys know,the Dutch the Germans, the guys from Belgium, the Canadians I'm sure are aware. But 33 for a project like this ,which is essentially for us OUR HOBBY is really not sending out the right message. We should be all over this like a rash.

You guys in particular have been a huge force in my/our frog keeping endevours,you are are the ones that taught me about legit frogs,about UE about my mysties and where they really came from. You guys are passionate about genuine sustainable frogs. When you guys have a competition happening for your breeder of the year,you have pages of the yank fight I expect from you to defeat a know smuggler,I applaud you for that (I see what Dane and Martha are trying to do to I support you!!!). I give thanks regularly for the help and time spent helping us along with all the moral guidance,plus the practical help. Some of you have become our friends across the pond. You guys,pm me and help me give me your valuable time,for nothing,just to help us do better. Bless you for it!!!!!!!

But, I just don't understand why so few of you are on board here,what's the reason guys I really don't understand?

We all are going through hard times,it's here too. We are on the back of chrimbo we are all skint(broke),but as I write this 670ish are on line. Just ten bucks from each would set this campaign alight.

This guy Ivan has put ten years into this project,he only needs a little bit of help from us,'cause he's governed by his countries laws and is abiding by them. To get us some frogs of unimaginable beauty,the frogs we would adore seeing,without any worries of smuggling. Conservation of his native species is his motivation,it isn't money. Some how this old brit has had the chance to exchange brief conversations with him,damn he sets my heart alight. This is a really humble guy,wanting to change things,for his wild frogs and for us. He's on his own now,he has us to show him we care,not just you ,but us the worldwide hobby, but where are we?

Lincon I've not had the privilege of speaking to you,but thank you for what you have done!!

Please help Ivan make his dreams and ours come true,we can do this,it's just a couple 'o' beers it ain't much,but we could send a resounding message by getting together of just what the dart scene is really about. We stand alone sometimes,we are the guys that pride ourselves on not needing other than what nature gave us. We have a chance, for once, to show what we really really care about. We have the chance to send a message out that we really care,not only about hybrids and smugglers,but wild frogs too. We have a chance if this is successful to maybe send out a message to other S american countries that biocommerce can be a force,all it take us us to stand together and all bung a tenner at it.

Think on the ramifications if this does fly.

My communication skills are not great part of this post is designed as a guilt trip for a cause I have complete blind faith in,part of it is just a heart felt plea, for my mentors,and part is complete bloody confusion. Beyond all that there is this,we can talk the talk,but is all that meaningless if we don't walk the walk.

I implore you don't let this just languish, this it totally doable,bung a tenner at Ivan, the world might just be a better place

Finally,the campaign is not all of it ,I know some guys are stepping up by other means,buying frogs even buying frogs they don't want for others.

I just feel that the number of funders shouldn't be 33 it should be in the hundreds.

I don't really know how to grab support,god forbid this comes over as an attack on anyone,that ain't me. But passion for a good guy really trying and my support for him is what you are getting.

C'mon make us proud,we are the special guys one of our number has problems,bosh we help,no thought of ourselves.we just help the dude out, it's a given.

The dude is called Ivan,he is in Colombia, and has already given to us....never stopped us before has it?

I'm not clever I'm not articulate,I struggle with letters so my English language is very bad,so what you just got hit with is all I have,at this time,if I can find something more I'll come back

Thanks for reading this

Please don't let this slip away

kind regards

Stu

·
Registered
882 Posts
I feel like donating myself and I don't have much to give. I'll probably end up getting the t-shirt tier of donation. I'd actually hope some more people would give at least a little.

Those frogs are amazing. That ranitomeya sp. and the occultator are just amazing looking. Not to mention lehmanni. I doubt there will be a better chance to get those frogs anytime in the next 10+ years and that's probably not even going to happen.

I hope more people donate.

-Nish

EDIT: I'm poor and I opted for the 100 dollar tshirt, pint glass, decal and cetrificate donation. Most of you guys can chip in 10 bucks. I might not even be able to keep these frogs because of my health. I'm sure everyone would appreciate these frogs in the hobby. Please try and donate if you can.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm not trying to guilt anyone but looking at the list of people donating I'm surprised that it's so small. I'm honestly amazed that some people who are doing ok (I realize the economy isn't great) aren't willing to chip in a few bucks to get some of the most amazing frogs from Colombia.

THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN LEGALLY EXPORTED EVER!!!

How can anyone not see this as a good to help out with in the hobby? =P

-Nish

1 - 20 of 74 Posts