Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after returining from the Reptile Expo yesterday, I found my pair of Cobalts lying on the floor shriveled up. I cried for hours, they were so close to me. I had just checked on them before I left for the expo, and they were doing great. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's horrible, both of them... I'm so sorry, as a breeder I have less emotional attachment to animals, but still, that sucks mate, hope you get some new frogs.... I'm with you man.

·
Registered
995 Posts
So after returining from the Reptile Expo yesterday, I found my pair of Cobalts lying on the floor shriveled up. I cried for hours, they were so close to me. I had just checked on them before I left for the expo, and they were doing great. :(
that sucks!!!

***off topic***

was it the Toronto Expo??? i found it really small this time [it only filled 4/5 of an ice rink]

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
... I'm so sorry, as a breeder I have less emotional attachment to animals...
What??? Really???

I've got a few frogs that started breeding a few months ago...and I guess I'm the opposite. I find the whole breeding and rearing process fascinating! It makes me more excited about the frogs and their well-being as well as more emotionally attached.

I guess I just don't understand how you can go through all of that without it causing emotion. What would be the purpose?

OP...I am so sorry for your loss. You must be devastated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well they escaped somehow. I thought I had everything sealed tight, but they were little (or shall I say big) magicians. It does give me an opportunity to build onto it though and hopefully fix any problems.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well they escaped somehow. I thought I had everything sealed tight, but they were little (or shall I say big) magicians. It does give me an opportunity to build onto it though and hopefully fix any problems.
I'm sorry to hear about your frogs. Would you care to share a picture of the enclosure? Maybe there was a weak point you hadn't noticed until now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will deffinitely try to send a picture. But my phone also "died" yesterday (what a quincidence) and my camera is MIA. I have a feeling It was from the top though. My female escaped once before, but I caught her in time. I thought I fixed the problem, but I guess I didn't.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this.

As a fellow Zoom (er) it really means a lot that you shared it. I would love to see how they escaped. You posting pictures could potentially save some future frog's lives.

I posted a like on this as we new froggers can learn so much from other's mishaps. The like is for your courage !

·
Registered
725 Posts
^^do you guys drive mazdas? I do! I'm confused on the zoom fellowship though haha. I'm really sorry to hear about your loss, but consider it a learning experience, and an opportunity to improve your frog husbandry. Everything happens for a reason.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss....

Guess this is another reminder that everyone should take, make extra sure everything is sealed. Frogs can squeeze out of places far smaller than many people think they can.

·
Registered
222 Posts
within the first few days of getting my first frogs mine squeezed their way out of the cord hole in the lid (I have an aquarium hood). I found them hopping on the carpet about 10 minutes after I last checked them. That was a year ago and they are healthy with no known issues. I sealed the open part of the cord opening with packed paper towels and never had another problem.

·
Banned
11 Posts
If you fed or misted before you left, if you were in a hurry there's a large chance you could of left the door slightly open and they squeezed there way out. I lost a tinc from doing this, I also cried for hours.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hey Zoom, sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately it's something that has happened to a good majority of us at one point or another. I know it's sad but don't let it be something that keeps you from trying your hand at caring for darts again. Try and figure out how they escaped and adjust your viv so it can't happen again. Since you found both of them out of the viv I'm guessing they did not escape while feeding or misting, rather both found a small gap to squeeze through (they can fit through incredibly small spaces).
If you are in the states pm or email me and I'll take care of getting you some new frogs.

Chris

[email protected]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts