Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, i am about to use a large tank to set up my own population of Terribilis. I will be using the usual tank setup, i.e. leaf litter, bromeliads, water bowl(s), a Petri dish for any eggs that they lay, some tall plants for climbing on, etc.

I have also been considering taking some wet sand and putting a couple mm of water above it to simulate a riverbank. Would this work, or not? Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd probably avoid the sand part. They'll have it tracked everywhere, stuck all over themselves and probably end up eating some of it at some point as they inhale their food.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any sort of round smooth rocks or gravel would do. Probably nothing much smaller than the end of your finger just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would not use anything smaller than a large pea, as was mentioned before when they eat its fast and furious and small gravel could possibly be ingested. At least that is what I've noticed with my orange terribilis :D

·
Banned
685 Posts
You could roll old school on this one.

Common practise years ago was........

paint the back outside of the aquarium black

lay down a layer of pea gravel, cover the "land" area with spagnum moss and make the pea gravel higher in this area.

wash all the dirt from the roots and grow plants hydroponically in pea gravel

And use sections of cork bark tubes as planters filled with plants for a 3D effect.

A little water in the bottom over the exposed gravel is your water area.

Terribilis really stand out against the black background.

·
Registered
805 Posts
yeah, I would not use sandpaper as they are prone to fugus infections from scratches. They also lunge at there food and eat anything that ends up in there mout. John

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update. I've put in the base substrate, mesh, and Jungle Mix substrate. I have also added gravel for the pond.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We use small stones in the bottom of our ponds that we make for them and it works out great. Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts