Dendroboard banner

Terribilis or bicolor

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Michael Shrom 
G
#1 ·
Help! I'm a new member to the forum and I currently have what I thought were 2 P Terribilis (orange phase). After looking through Dendroboard I'm not so sure. I may have orange bicolor.
Compared to my yellow Terribilis, which is solid yellow all over, the orange frogs are smaller and more slightly built (all are about 2 yrs old), and one has black specs on it's legs.
Here's some piccys

#5 ·
small orange P. terribilis or orange bicolor? This is an area that has been a controversy ever since the frogs first showed up in the hobby. One breeder in Florida has been selling some of the 1 type as bicolor for years. Another breeder has been selling the same type as P. terribilis for years. The guy in Florida recently had dna work done that is supposed to prove they are bicolor. I don't know. I don't know enough about the tests to tell if they are bicolor or terribilis. The price of these frogs when they are called terribilis is usually about twice as much as when they are called bicolor.

#6 ·
Michael,

Ya - we have spoke with both breeders. I think I would go by the DNA tests personally. Either way, people are bound to get them mixed up. Beautiful frogs either way!

Melis

Michael Shrom said:
small orange P. terribilis or orange bicolor? This is an area that has been a controversy ever since the frogs first showed up in the hobby. One breeder in Florida has been selling some of the 1 type as bicolor for years. Another breeder has been selling the same type as P. terribilis for years. The guy in Florida recently had dna work done that is supposed to prove they are bicolor. I don't know. I don't know enough about the tests to tell if they are bicolor or terribilis. The price of these frogs when they are called terribilis is usually about twice as much as when they are called bicolor.

G
#9 ·
Ok everyone, many thanks for the interest in this topic, I now know that the distinction between terribilis and bicolor is not clear cut.
I have a belief that they are 2 forms of the same species, separated geographically by about 200 miles in Colombia, and as such have evolved slight differences.
If I keep the "known" large yellow terribilis in the same viv as the orange frogs, is there a chance that the yellow may breed with the orange?
If so, then I'll have to remove the yellow to a new home and obtain another to go with it.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.