Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 Terribilis Yellow froglets are settling in well, and growing up fast. Already they're as big as my auratus and still growing (NO i do not have them in the same vivarium. Their viv is BESIDE the auratus viv). However, i have noticed that they have something in common: They spend A LOT of time in the leaf litter. And i mean the vast majority of their time, which is not normal for terribilis (they're supposed to be at least as bold as tincs). They snoop around a bit, they climb the viv walls now and then, but they spend most of their time in the far corner of their viv, inside this one plant.
It's pretty rare to see them more than a foot or so from it (inside a 1.5 m viv, no less). Their temperature is usually about 74-78 degrees in the day and rarely less than 70 degrees at night (it went down to 68 last night, but it's warmed up since i turned on their heat lamp and regular light). Wikipedia states that terribilis like a relative humidity of 80-90%. Could this be the problem? Their tank was once a fish tank; it's glass, it has a wodden lid with locked doors on the top (i can open them to let in ffs and give them humidity) consisting of nylon mesh and a framework of hardwood.

I was wondering if terribilis need increased humidity. If so, my handheld spray bottle might not be enough. Should i get them an automatic fogger? Could the heat lamp be emitting something that they don't like? Or are they just unusually shy? Please help my frogs; I'm becoming worried that something may be wrong with them. If it helps, i'll post some pictures later (be warned, my camera is shit quality). Thanks!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Terribilis are extremely sensitive to high temperatures (80 degrees F and above). I worry more about daytime high temperatures than night time temperatures in the high to mid 60's which is perfectly fine. Ideal daytime temps for most darts is in the 70's, which is probably the ambient temperature of your house.

They like humidity at 80-100%. All my tanks have solid glass tops to retain humidity with only a tiny gap where the lid may not shut all the way because of the handle. A quick fix to this is to put saran wrap on the outside of the screen and tape it down.

Terribilis are generally not shy, I have to physically move mine out of the way when doing tank work.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks. I've just de-framed pretty much every picture in the house to cover the terribilis tank. I also gave them some additional humididy. I'll be making modifications so as to retain humidity now. I think they're okay with a heat lamp, their temperature never gets to 80 degrees, ever; right now it's around 72 degrees. I'm just worried that the light bulb that i'm using could be emitting mercury or something that could harm the terribilis.

·
Registered
446 Posts
yeah covering the top will fix you up..

Why are you running a heat lamp exactly? Just regular light bulbs will work for plants.. look for the 6500k range... I use the spiral compacts on most of my vivs.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because it was too cold without, i.e. low 60's.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I keep my terribs in a 20L that is 95 sealed with a 5% vent. They like it warm and humid. Mid 70s is perfect though mine are breeding like nuts in the low 80s with nighttime drops to high 60s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts