Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been reading about different frogs and their differences and I'm wondering to what extend a frog is terrestrial and arboreal.

Do terrestrial frogs like tincs or azureus go up the foliage and rocks at all? or do they remain on bottom ground only?
And arboreal frogs like fantasticus, do they go on the floor and rocks at all? And do they stay at the really higher layer of a tank?

I'm asking because I want to make sure I get the right frogs for the set up I have in mind. My tank is about 2 1/2 feet tall (4 feet wide) and contains rock platforms that are close to 2 feet tall, with hollow caves under. Would terrestrial frogs go up on the rocks at all? (I have a ten gallon tank for the first few months to get used to their feeding habits)

Also how many frogs could I put in there without it being stressful to the frogs? I'm interested in either azureus, tincs, or fantasticus (one kind, tbd)

thank you for your help

Isabelle :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
My tincs and azureus actually do climb up in their tank. They are pretty fat so it is funny when they fall off of leaf, they are not the most graceful frogs. I have rocks and driftwood in their tank and they do use the upper portions of their tank, though they primarily stay on the ground.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my tincs climb all the time, they are always stuck to the glass or the cork bark in the back. I would say that as long as they have a way to get up there, they will use the ledges.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'm glad to hear they would use the space.

I'm still not sure if i should get tinks or azureus. I like the blue for sure. Are they too aggressive to put more than a couple in the tank?
I would like to have more than 2 ideally, but only if it's not too stressfull for them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I've heard both tincs and azureus are pretty territorial, primarily the females. But with a tank of that size, it might not be a problem. Frogs such as aratus, terribilis, and galacts (sorry on the spelling) will do better in groups.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All frogs climb but usually the bigger frogs like Tincs or azureus etc prefer to be on the ground

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts